1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bank pricing

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by dannyslawn, Oct 28, 2008.

1. dannyslawn

dannyslawn Senior Member

I just put a bid in for a bank in my area. 1.11 acres of pavement, 2500 square feet of walks. 1" trigger and they want to be plowed every inch day and night. Bulk salt for the paved areas and calcium chloride for the walks. My area averages 20 inces and 7-11 snow and ice events a season. They wanted a seasonal price. I bid 9700.00 and they shot it down. They won't go higher then 3700.00 for the season. What do you guys think? I'am I too high. Also, I am in Central NJ where pricing seems to be fairly high compared to other parts of the country. Thanks for the help.

2. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

How many salt events and how many snow events --average?

3. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

There number is about right, & your Way high.

4. dannyslawn

dannyslawn Senior Member

5 or 6 snow events and 4 or 5 ice events. some years we might get triple that and some years 1 or 2 total events

5. dannyslawn

dannyslawn Senior Member

RLM,
    for salt and calcium in an average year is around 1000.00. I also have accounts in the same town as this bid using the same pricing structure. These are accounts I've had for multiple years so I think my pricing is alright.

6. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

is it a regualr bank size lot?

7. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

I wouldnt do it for $3700. Take your average snowfall x cost per plow and salt and thats your number (because its every ")

8. dannyslawn

dannyslawn Senior Member

Ice,
    its a regular lot. ave. difficulty. 48300 square feet

9. dannyslawn

dannyslawn Senior Member

ford,
    that's pretty much what I did

10. dannyslawn

dannyslawn Senior Member

do to there no tolerance to snow or ice a day time event may call for 3 or 4 plowings and saltings

11. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

ya that zero tolerance thing is what throws a wrench in it.... may have to do double or triple the work and keep trucks always in the area..... good to get away

12. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

The reason they shot it down was no snow for the last two years. (3 and 2, last two years)Try accepting the price of 3700.00 with a limit of 6 events, roughly 600 per which is OK for the area. Also check their contract, if it is the bank i think it is you can charge extra for any salting treating of walks after 48 hrs. Also the Day and night thing 1" probably wrong, check it out.

13. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

prsport That's me walking away from this one. They want you to consider dropping your price by nearly two thirds. I don't know $3700 seems low even by Buffalo standards. Especially for zero tolerance. Maybe a picture of the lot would change would make me think differently.

14. dannyslawn

dannyslawn Senior Member

tj
    They won't except event limits and yes they want plowing done every inch. I recieved good news today. My biggest customer from last year finally got around to accepting our 3 year contract. Now I don't feel stressed out about getting new contracts. 7 of my 9 commercial customers from last year are signed up and I have 4 bids for new work out there.

15. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

A picture is always beneficial, I think you should be higher because of the tolerance JMO

16. big acres

big acres Senior Member

Sounds a bit low to me like others have said... due to the tolerance. We work with a group of banks who pay per visit. They pay one price for lot plowing, and another price for aany other service performed. They are banks, and they know what OUR cost are... after all, they review loans and financing for many service businesses. The great thing is that their price is just about right. They've tweaked the specs a bit this year, but the pay per visit makes it a non-issue.

17. dannyslawn

dannyslawn Senior Member

Thanks for all the input guys.