1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bank is in trouble

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by On a Call, Mar 5, 2015.

1. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

A bank has a large four lane over hang. The last two warmer days allowed the heavy snow load collected in the valley to melt and build up 6-8 inches 10'x30' just before the drive through next to the building.

Dangerous situation

200 - 300 pound of salt and calcium was applied it due to cold temps now not breaking up.

Any thoughts

2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

The architect is\was an idiot.

3. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

My thought too !

I was thinking of selling them a heated self draining pad . Put it in during the summer. And heat tape the roof. They are going to have an accident

4. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

Its like the Meijers near me...The overhang is a half oval plexy glass....Snow slides off of it all the time...The solution....There is a sign saying watch for falling snow....:laughing:

That way you can look up and see the snow hitting you....:eek:

5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

The one by me has metal roofs over the cart storage areas. They've had caution tape blocking it off this week.

Amazing that architects are so clueless.

6. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

The architects, the building authority and the owners are all to blame. They want something that is appealing over practical. Same with parking lots full of curbs, islands and green spaces.

7. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

And then we are to blame when ice is an issue.

Lucky for me most are intelligent enough to understand the reason

8. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

Not everyone is that understanding, especially if they have a fall. You should snap a couple pics of it just in case. These are building maintenance issues.

9. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Great point

10. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

I had to put cones and caution tape up at a site cuz owner is too cheap to clean roof and now whole back walk has 10 inches thick ice across whole walk
    App 400 feet
    He thought that was included in price
    Even if we clean it today next eek everyday above freezing and then below freezing every night

11. Grump1

Grump1 Member

Local shell gas station here has an overhang that has been braced up with 2x8s due to ice and snow on it.
    Even better, that it has been dripping on the front steps for over a month causing the steps to be unusable, and taped off.
    I do see the manager spending a good deal of time with an ice chisel and shoveling around the diesel pumps.

12. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Guess you walk in then.

13. Stinson Landscp

Stinson Landscp Member

Having the same issues with a plaza that we do. Its had a ton of leaks in the roof, icing on the sidewalk at nigh since the drains are plugged. Then finally last night the canopy in front of one store collapsed. Luckily it was only the material that was used to cover the framing. The store had to close early because of the mess and wires everywhere.

14. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Now....they are asking if we will remove the ice and snow from the roof.

How much should I charge an hour ? Or should I just quote them 10 g ??

15. grandview

Past,give them a number to a roofing company.This ay if something happens you can't be blamed.I'll bet your insurance don't cover it anyways.

16. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Insurance ?? what is that ?

Like I tell the guys...just remember, you are fired before you hit the ground.

Good point...though, I was not really interested even though I like the thought of falling ice.

17. grandview

Dock that ***** a days pay.

18. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Ha...I remember that quote. I never have used it....it might be time ;) .

19. Laszlo Almasi

Laszlo Almasi Senior Member

All of those curbs, islands and spaces are there to help deter criminals from targeting the location. The harder it is for them to flee, the less appealing it is to them. They want a quick and easy exit.

20. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

That must be why our local church has so many islands :rolleyes: