1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bangs going into 4wd

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by sjwrangler, Jan 30, 2010.

1. sjwrangler

sjwrangler Member

I have a 2001 Silverado 3500 with the Allison behind the 8.1 with push button 4wd.
    Except when at dead stop, shifting into 4H, the front engages with a loud bag, and also makes significant noise when coming out of 4h to 2h. It engages, I have 4wd. At dead stop, you hear the whiiirrrr of mechanisms working.

Any suggestions as what to look for, where to start? I'm sure this is not OK, I have other GMs and have had GMs over the years without this issue.

2. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

The owners maunal states that there should be a definite clunk when they go in. My 2001 always did.

3. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

my 2000, which i believe is very similiar to your 2001, also makes a pretty loud clunk when it goes in and out of 4wd.

4. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

What's the saying? Run it 'till it blows?

5. sjwrangler

sjwrangler Member

I guess I am sensitive to mechanical noises, it does not seem right to me. If I had heard the noise for anythign else except going into 4wd, I would have the truck at the stealership. It never sounds good.
    I would think I could be moving slightly and shift into 4H, as I do with other vehicles, with no troubles.
    It is best to be at a full stop with this truck.

6. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

A sudden thud or clunk is ok. But it it makes dust rise from the floor, then maybe it should be looked at. Know anyone else with a push button? Maybe have them ride in it and see if it is worse then their's.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A clunk as it engages while moving with any speed is normal...