1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bamboo stakes?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by The mayor, Mar 9, 2010.

1. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

I got a catalog in the mail and they had 500 bamboo stakes for $46.25.
    3/8 x 4 ft. First thing I thought was driveway markers. Any reason why I shouldn't please speak up.

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Go For it. They should work just fine

3. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

they arent as flexible i would assume. ive caught alot of my fiberglass stakes and am really surprised they bounce right back up.

what happens when they get water logged?

4. TerrForms

TerrForms Member

Bamboo stakes

Don't bother! I used them last year. Have 500 or more and once you plow them over it's done for! Get the plastic 26" ones from J. Thomas. I went back to the Polyurethane ones this year. I can run Polyurethane one's over and over and they keep standing up. I still have 300 bamboo left. Not much good for anything. (fire starters)
    JS

5. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

what catalog?????
    I installed 800-900 1/4" fiberglass 4 foot rods at 0.50 cents each, they somewhat bounce back. they dont survive the blower

6. TerrForms

TerrForms Member

bamboo stakes

You can get them from greenhouse suppliers. Again, once you hit them there done for! Then you can't get another back into the Frozen ground! It's your money and time.

7. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

understood, but they would be good for walkways to homes and stuff like that, nicer than a fiberglass rod.

I used a hammer drill and a generator to install the 800 stakes on our subdivision, concrete- asphalt frozen ground not a problem 2 high school kids all day $80 each, done for the season, Now I have to pick them all up...

8. TerrForms

TerrForms Member

bamboo stakes

Yes! for walkways they work great. I use about 150-200 of them. Drives and roads, no-way.

9. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

all good to know. I don't mark sidewalks but would need them for drives. Sounds like they would not work. The catalog is Gemplers.
    www.gemplers.com

10. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

you drill concrete and asphalt to install markers?

11. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

I think he was implying drill them into the frozen ground--lotta guys do that to keep from breaking them.

12. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

No, I think he was implying he puts em where he needs em. concrete, asphalt, frozen, whatever...

13. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

:popcorn: waiting for GV to chime in.... His competition could afford to put one every six inches now.:laughing: