1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ballooning Cartridges on XtremeV

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by 2COR517, Feb 20, 2010.

1. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

So today I was repairing a leak on my lovely XV. Turned out the #6 Cartridge had loosened up. The engineers at DD were wise enough to add a locking ring to both the #6 and #10 cartridges. Apparently they thought a little piece of sheet metal that locks onto the hex of the cartridge would be the ticket. The lock-ring is secured to the aluminum manifold with a #6 by 3/8" sheet metal screws. Not a machine screw, or even a self tapping screw. A plain old pointed coarse threaded sheet metal screw. That should do it, eh? What a joke.

In order to get the cartridge out, you must first remove the coil. The cartridges have ballooned to the point that I had to use channel locks to twist the coil off.

Both the #6 and #10 cartridges have ballooned, and both were loose. Needless to say, the cartridges are not strong enough for the pressure created when you bump something with the wing. Unless the installer set the pressure relief valves too tight.:rolleyes:

Just curious if anyone else has had or seen this problem.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The 6 and 10 valves take the brunt of the hydro hit from the base end wing rams when an impact is too great for the wing reliefs to handle. Such as a hard (or repeated) hit on a curb...or tree for example. :cool: It's not necessarily specific to the XV's either. You'll encounter it on other brands also when impacts are hard or...often enough. Meyer mostly.

But I agree, the screw retainer method was a nice touch. :rolleyes:

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Hey, when I hit the tree, the plow was in Vee.

:laughing:

And that doesn't explain the passenger side......

4. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Come on, fess up- you hunt for deer and moose with your Xtreme V don't you!!!

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Ayuh! Put it in scoop and it's harder for them to get out. Adding wings for the next rut :D

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Doesn't matter, if you claim to have never hit anything with the wings anywhere but against the stops we know you're lying. Can't fool us. :D

7. plowguy43

B&B just called you out!!!

I think I know how this all happened. You saw a nice Bull on the side of the road, tossed the plow to scoop, swerved off the road and pinned the bull against the tree. Upon doing so you bust your center pin, messed up your cartridges, and blew some o-rings out. Man I'm good at this CSI sh*t!

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Thanks for the laugh on a Sunday morning.

The plow was "all the way back", but the 8.5 doesn't have the physical blade stops. Hmmm.

9. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

You certainly need to get rid of that nasty old Fisher plow:dizzy: and get something that will give you years of trouble free service and will never break or bend even if you hit something hard enough to bring both rear wheels right off the ground! There is no sense in you fooling with that old thing any longer especially now that the cartridges are ba"LOON'ing out like that??? I think if you leaning towards the direction of something RED:D Your problems would all be solved? And you would soon be sipping drinks with unbrellas in them; on some south sea isle; with all the cash you will make as those plow even do the plowing all by themselves!!! You would save hundreds of hours not having to redesign it:redbounce and all the nuts and screws would be up to your specs and never loosen up . I think the RED plows are all on SALE at the moment[wonder why]??? And there will always be some foolish guys that think they want a Fisher???? ITS TIME?????? GO FIR IT!!!:bday:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  10. plowguy43

Hahaha plow by itself, now that is something to see! I don't think its the DD engineers who messed things up, I think its more the accountants...Westerns are Red too right???

11. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Oh dont worry he knows which color red :p

12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I would agree with that being a big part of the problem. The engineers understood the pressures involved, which is why they put the lock ring on the cartridge. At least that prevents it from coming completely out. If you look at the hydraulic schematic for the XV, you can see they used two relief valves for each angle ram. But they are both set the same. At 1 1/4 turns they are supposed to release at about 4600 PSI. I might back one for each side out a half turn. Hopefully give a progressive release. Either way, the cartridge is simply not strong enough.

Who said anything about buying a red plow? I might try one of the other yellow ones. Or that cool silver one with the cartoon dog on it.

13. plowguy43

Snowdoggs do look nice plus great support.

14. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Yea the cartoon plow does look interesting???? And that big dog makes it look BAD!!!!
    But I still think the best deal going; is going to be framer1901's hardly used BOSS???? Like you said the welds all look perfect on that one ???? I dont think he is going to want top dollar for that one???? I could be a buyer for yours????????

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It sure does, that's what the wings cylinders become when they're fully bottomed.

16. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

Mine hits on the back side of the hinge, kinda like a stop.

17. bacwudzme

bacwudzme Senior Member

I dont care what anybody says Plow hydrolic rams/ pistons are made for extension not compression!!!!!!

18. plowguy43

I guess the only question left is- how was the moose meat?