1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by WOODY367, Jan 14, 2008.

1. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

How much ballest do I need and what to use? I have a 04 F250 supercab short bed with a 8" Fisher MM2. its a little light in the a$$.
  2. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

I would say about 500-800 pounds of ballast weight behind the rear axle against the tailgate.
    I only use about 400# of ballast in my setup right now, so i just tarp up 60# sandbags and use 2x8 pressure treated wood to keep it in place. my snow thrower rolls right over it on to the ramps with some good tugs.
  3. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

i would say "bladescape" is rite

we have one little half ton that most of the time has no weight in the bed and other times it has ~4-500# of melter and it does make a difference but 4wheeldrive makes all the difference in the world
  4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

For your truck configuration, Fisher recommends 340 pounds of ballast. If you want to check it yourself, go to the Fisher website, use the E-Match feature and follow the links.
  5. Plowin in VT

Plowin in VT Senior Member

I start my day with 1,500# of rock salt in the back of my truck. The truck definitely handles and plows better on the first run when it's full than it does on the last run when the salt is almost gone.... of course the more weight, the more fuel you suck down.

Try 400-500# of tube sand all the way back by your tailgate, and see how it goes. They are cheap ($3.50 for 70# at Home Depot), and for the times that you need extra traction, just cut a bag open...
  6. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I have 400# of tube sand behind the rear wheels in my 2500HD. I Then have another 1000#s of bagged salt in the bed for my spreader. It plows a lot better at the beginning, but once i run through all that salt I still have the ballast so the truck still rides really good. Plus the salter weighs 150 or so.It works out well for me. :)
  7. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I'd carry whatever your plow weighs behind the rear axle. Fisher recommends anywhere from 330-770 lbs of ballast depending on your engine. I would still carry your plows weight.
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2008
  8. Buster F

Buster F Senior Member

I have a 2003 Superduty setup almost identical to yours. I run about 400 lbs of sandbags right up against the gate held in place with a 2x6 in the bed slots. This seems to work out pretty well and doesn't have a huge impact on drivability while the plows not on. Good luck, Roy
  9. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

I have like 500 lbs of salt in there most of the time. When it empties, I really dont notice much. The spreader weighs like 180lbs, so some kind of weight is there. I couldnt imagine how crappy my mileage would be if I carried 800lbs back there just to counter the plow:dizzy:
  10. The amount of ballast also seems to depend on what kind of plowing you are doing as well as how heavy/wet the snow is you are trying to push. I plowed a couple storms in December with about 400lbs in the back of my F-250 and found that even in 4wd I was running out of traction on some uphills when pushing a big wet pile of snow. Recently I piled a bunch of leftover bricks from my house onto a pallet in the back of my truck. The bricks weight in at about 1800lbs. While it definitely sat the back of my truck down some, I did all of my plowing yesterday without ever putting my truck in 4wd. :nod:
  11. saabman

saabman Member
    from Maine

A word of caution on using enormous ballast. With the ballast sitting behind the rear wheels weight will be transferred from the front axle (the idea). But with so much ballast you may transfer more weight than the capacity of the rear axle (ballast + transfer weight)
  12. 2dogs2

2dogs2 Member

I have a 89 full size blazer and have yet to put any ballast in the back. Mine seems to plow just fine in 4Hi without it.
  13. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Home Deot has the sand tubes? Last I looked it was in papper bags made by sakrete. What are the tube made of? I will try 400# and see how it works.
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2008
  14. ECS

ECS Senior Member

Saw a guy last week that had a pallet of sod in the back. :nod:
  15. Saabman, I appreciate your pointing that out. When I have weight in the back I also run SuperSprings in the back (helps when I tow my boats too). I've always felt that F-250 rear springs were not up to the job anyway and leave most 250s looking like they are dragging their @sses.

Also, PM me about your username. My daily driver is a 1990 900t and I used to rally a 1985 900t (saabworks.com).