1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by mobo, Jan 30, 2005.

1. mobo

mobo Member
    from Ohio

Just had a question, I am new at this and still can not make up my mind on a plow. I have a 2001 F150 Super Crew and the western dealer said yesterday he would install a lsx plow for the same price as the suburbanite I told him I would get back to him. I looked my truck up on western's quick match and it said I needed 850 ballest. I was wondering if that was 850lbs I need to add. If I go with the suburbanite I need 0 ballest.
  2. CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter Senior Member

Ballast, bullocks!

Yes, they are referring to the amount of weight that you have to carry to give you traction and / or balance out the weight of the plow on the front of the vehicle. Me, I always have 1/2 ton or so of sand in the back so it really doesn't make a difference to me, but I did see a truck in the last storm who had no weight on the back. He was in front of me, and every time he stepped on the gas, his @ss end would swing out. I told him he should grab a shovel and load up his bed with snow so he could make it safely home.
  3. plow150

plow150 Member

Another thing to note about recommended ballast is that they're expecting it'll be placed behind the rear axle, not just anywhere in the box, to offset the weight on the front axle.
  4. saleen49

saleen49 Junior Member

:eek: I have a 92 F-250HD with a Western Uni-mount and find 2 to 300 lbs of ballest against the tail gate works best, anything more and the truck feels weighed down and seems to struggle when driving on a highway, Western recommends 4 to 500 lbs for my 7/6 Pro-plow, I use 50 lb cast iron weights used for testing commercial scales i found at the scrap yard, they have handles and make for quick loading and removal,
  5. CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter Senior Member

Watch out!

Man, be careful with that! I rolled my last commuter truck this early winter; I only had sand in the back, but think if you slammed into someone or vice versa, or any other type of accident carrying that as your cargo -- those things are going to fly! Catching one of those in the back of the head might put a dent in your day, not to mention the back of your noggin.
  6. Ole JIM

Ole JIM Senior Member

Weight in BED? when Plowing!

I have installed a Wood Plank set UP in my BED--made a 90* 4 inch thin steel plate on both rear wheel wells so the Plank can NOT Slip Up wards! when the Load hits IT & then place a Row of Concrete blocks across the rear Bed-- Two High--each block weighs aprox 45 lbs--gives Me 750 lbs--& w/ my snow Blowers--Two--One 24 inch & whats called a snow Broom I use on Roofs--& my Ramps--& rail to rail tool box--filled w/ all my other Necessary Stuff? I Don*t have any Problem!--but--seeing I have been Plowing for over 50 yrs--the Biggest Mistake? I see Novice Plowers Making?-is?--they take too Large of a Bite In too Much of a Hurry I assume?--after I Plow out the Snow Bank left by the Street Plow--I take Care NOT to Run over any Drippings I have Missed! as IT will Pack Down &is very Hard to Remove!--so take YOUR TIME! & DO a Good JOB--it may take YOU a bit Longer!--but--its Worth the Extra Effort!--& You will get Compliments & your plowing Customers will be tell others--Ole JIM--
  7. ohnomrbill

ohnomrbill Junior Member

Ole Jim...your comment reminds me of a quote from George Toma, the NFL's head groundskeeper and turf guru for all the SuperBowls; "Do the Job, and then some." People will remember a good job long after they've forgotten the cheap price.