1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ballest really does work

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by 91AK250, Nov 27, 2010.

1. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

so, normaly i run studded snow tires on all my trucks im going to drive in the winter. well after buying 2 new trucks this summer and being laid off work for awhile i only had enough cash to get snow tires for my excursion.

so my expedition has almost new 265/75 16 bridgestone A/Ts on it. they were absolutly terrible. so i lowered the air pressure to 22psi again that helped alittle but it was still pretty bad when compared to snow tires. so today i added about 400lbs of gravel to the back. all i can say is WOW it made a huge differance. it actuly stops now haha and the ass end doesnt try to step out all the time. it stays in 4x4 all winter but it was still hard to get going before...now you can actualy get some traction.

i went back and bought more for the f-250 so i'l have about 500lbs in it.

she now sits level..it normaly sits with the ass 2" higher
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

and dont worry i'll be strapping them down just incase. because in a wreck they could be deadly.

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Ballast rules. Try it with chains :nod:

3. 91AK250

cant run chains all winter all around town. hopfully once i get my settlement from my wreck i'll throw some new cooper M&S studded. untill then this seems like it'll work well.

4. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

It's amazing how much traction 500 lbs will give you.

5. theonlybull

theonlybull Senior Member

and how may axles you can break with the extra traction...:realmad:

6. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

What? We arn't talking about Tonka trucks.

7. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

Yea I never ran ballast until a few yrs ago when I bought the new Western and they suggested i run 500# and what a difference with or without the plow

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You're breaking axles in the snow due to extra traction?

9. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

4-5k lbs in a v box helps a lot too :)

10. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

I carry about 800lbs of bag salt and a 250lb spreader! Puts a little sag on the back and use's a little more fuel but when I wanna go I can go.

11. sven_502

sven_502 Senior Member
    from ontario

Learning to plow on a truck with no 4x4 sure taught me how to use ballast :) I don't even understand how anybody would try plowing without it.

12. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Not to be rude, but you're just now figuring this out? :dizzy:

I learned ballast at a very young age. My first winter driving was spent in a RWD Ford Ranger. You learn very quickly how weight and traction affecting performance...and safety.

I thought this was pretty much common knowledge...

13. 91AK250

growing up we allways had 4x4s and never saw a need, or should i say thought it would help.

i never started using ballets in my plow truck untill i joined here, everyone said what a differance it would make. so i put 600lbs in and holy crap i was sold on it!

with this expedition i was trying my last ditch effort to get it somewhat stable without being able to afford snow tires for it this year. luckly it worked very well.

14. theonlybull

theonlybull Senior Member

the 96 and earlier f-250's with the d44hd don't like having extra weight on them plowing... snapped 3 in one winter..:eek:

we've taken a couple out in my old man's 77 bronco, with out any extra weight

15. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

I run with about 500lbs of salt bags in the back, I find that I don't need to put it in 4wd just to plow, 2wd works just fine unless it icy under the snow or its real heavy snow, you will like running with ballest it give you great traction and I've had no axle breakage

16. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Ditto. That's why I run it, I like 2wd. Unless it gets real crappy, then it's off to 4 and you know it's going down then.

17. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Ssshhhh......Don't tell any of the Ford guys. They think their axles will support a dump truck.