1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ballest? My little project...

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by 91AK250, Oct 15, 2008.

1. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

so i'd never run any weight in the back untill i came to plowsite, i ran 350lbs last winter..noticed a slight diff. after hearing what a diff it made i thought what the hell i'll do for it..

so i grabed some scrap wood i had, bought some play sand 50lbs each from home depo and went to work.

thought i'd share the pics of the build and all that jazz..lemmie know what you think..

and ballest isnt just for plow trucks haha, my 4x4 explorers rear end is alittle light in the ass end so i allways run some weight, this year i went with 260lbs
    [​IMG]

now for the plow truck ;) what i had to start with
    [​IMG]

part way thru
    [​IMG]

2. 91AK250

done, before putting in the truck
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

done, with 650lbs in it
    [​IMG]

3. 91AK250

[​IMG]

now she sits pretty level, i think i need to replace the pass side front spring because it sags more then the drivers side, this summer i will do that...its done that since we put the plow on in '01 so its not urget, i may even replace both front springs with more heavy duty ones.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

looks really good. just one question how does it keep from sliding around?

5. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Look good job on that ballast box.

Don't you worry about rust issue on that when snow stick to metal and in your garage where heater is?

It happened to my old work who have 86 F250 that have twice replaced body because snow stick to body then park in shop where heater blow 75oF so rust grow fastest than anyone I have see.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2008
  6. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

We are going to need you and your buddy to go out to that same driveway so we can see the updated abilities of the truck :)

7. 91AK250

it doesnt move at all, because it sites snugly between the wheel wells and the tailgate..doesnt move a bit :)

have absolutly no worry about rust, we dont have stuff rust here haha no salt means no rust :) when i was repainting the truck it had hardly ever been washed ..ect and had zero rust.

i was thinking about a lid...but since i added more i cant fit one on it..plus i dont think i need one.

8. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Do those paper bags have plastic liners inside of them? I was just wondering how well they would stand up to the snow.

9. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

ok i got it. im thinking of doing something similar for my truck

10. 91AK250

none of them are paper far as i know? the play sand is plastic bags..and the regualr bags are woven plastic or somthing lol..both help up fine last year so fingers crossed this year :)

i'd been meaning to do this forever, finally got around to it.

11. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

I have a sure trax that I put in my truck for ballast. It is a big bladder that fills with water and freezes in the winter and it gives around 500# it has walls in the bladder so it will not slosh around until frozen.

12. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

If you ever worry about that, just line the box with a really thick plastic drop cloth.

13. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

O ok, the square ones looked like paper to me.

14. 91AK250

i allready noticed a differance, it stoped like it was on pavement on a iced over road..plus now she rides like a caddy...damn! haha

should make plowing much more fun and less worrysome

15. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX PlowSite.com Addict

When did it start snowing there?

16. 91AK250

last few weeks ussmileyflag

17. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Looks goood!:waving:

18. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

do you have a limit slip rear ? ballast is def the key

19. Danscapes

Danscapes Senior Member

Whatcha got in the garage next to your truck? Look like a 50"s Chevy convert.........huh huh huh let me see let me see.

20. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

good job Russ. hope you get to take advantage sometime soon :D