1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by CityGuy, Mar 8, 2009.

1. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

OK so I have searched and read a lot of great information about ballast on the site. My question is where to place the ballast? Some say over the rear wheels and others say behind the rear wheels. Which is right and what are the pros and cons of either over or behind?:dizzy:
  2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

If you have read and researched the forum you will see most people put it as far back as possible.
  3. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

4. flakesmeangreen

flakesmeangreen Senior Member

Behind the tires.

(Boss's ballast retainer kit)
  5. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Well since this Plowsite I will assume your asking for when your plow is on;)

Which in this case the preferred placement would be behind the wheels as far back as far as possible as to counterweight the weight of the plow reducing the load on the front axle and multipying the effect of the weight on the rear axle

For everyday winter driving over the rear wheels is better as to not take weight off the front axle reducing your braking ability
  6. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

behind the wheels, if ya put 8 or 9 hundred pounds on the front, do the same for the rear.
  7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Be sure to secure it too. You don't want it coming up to meet you in the cab in an accident.
  8. 04sd

04sd Senior Member
    from pa

Remember though that when the plow is down most of the plows weight is now on the ground and not the front axle. So while you're actually plowing, not driving around with the plow up, to much weight behind the rear axle will be lifting the front reducing steering traction. Probably not a concern on a heavy diesel truck but could be on a lighter weight vehicle.
  9. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

With my truck they say in the match function in the plow manufacturers sites. I need 900 pounds of ballast. It's going to squat with that much weight behind the back wheels, with the plow down. Humm, maybe beef up the front suspension? Instead of carrying useless weight.
  10. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

NO. the weight is not useless it also adds traction to the rear end.

You dont want to be driving a vehicle around that is that far out of balance (plow, motor on the front and nothing in the back) it will be the tail waging the dog.
  11. Grass Master

Grass Master Banned

I agree, also remember the front axle will share the load of any weight placed at any point IN FRONT of the rear axle. This could cause you to exeed the grose front axle weight rating, causing accelerated wear on the front end components. Or crack the axle housing like the one in the photo.

12. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

What's that axle housing off of?
  13. Grass Master

Grass Master Banned

It is off of a Bronco witha 7.5 Western.
  14. plow up/down

And old thread but may be of interest

I weighed our plow -- total/front/ rear
    then realized that there would be a difference with plow up or down

the difference was 350# on the front axle

and I have about 500# ballast behind the axle