1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by Lee-Way, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Lee-Way

Lee-Way Junior Member

Is there a method for figuring the right amount of ballast ?
  2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I never use any ballast and I have a 2004 crew cab super duty with the V-10 pushing a sno-way 8'2" v blade. Never use ballast in any of our trucks.
  3. Lee-Way

Lee-Way Junior Member

I think I'm going to try it this year. Last year it would build up under the front axle and pack tight. :cry:
  4. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

I've heard it should be pound for pound to your plow. I've used more of a 60%-70% plow weight as ballast. I use 50# water softener salt bags - then in the spring I put 'em in the basement.
  5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Great idea Scott. Plus if you need it to melt ice it will work in a pinch.
  6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Ballast will improve your traction, and relieve some of the strain off your front axle.

I never plow with-out it, My a*& end gets too light.:blush2:
  7. stangman35

stangman35 Senior Member

On my 04 dakota my plow was a little over 400 pounds,i put 400 pounds of rock salt in the back.Helped a bunch.

Used some on the sidewalk when I got home to.

It will prolly help your ball joints live a little longer.
  8. pelt35

pelt35 Senior Member

I had a 04 F-150 with a Sno-way and I put an old tire filled with concrete in the bed over the wheel wells. I weighed the tire and it was 700# and leveled truck just right and provided great traction as well, I also installed a safety cable thru the ring in the center for a hold down for safety reasons/
  9. RYDER

RYDER Senior Member

I have a Snow-Way 9cf salt spreader on the back of my 03 F150 and I put 10-12 bags of salt in the bed to use in the spreader. works great!!
  10. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Each plow manufacturer will have figured how much ballast you need based on your truck and configuration. Consult the plow manufacturer web site.
  11. #1 plowtech

#1 plowtech Senior Member

Hi Leeway,

Sno-Way uses D.O.T. Regulations. They use the 65% of total vehicle weight over front axle, and 35% over the rear. That is with driver in vehicle,gas,(coffee cup),etc.

I strongly urge the use of ballast. It is basic mathematics when it comes to installing a snowplow on the front of the vehicle,you need to compensate. Thats why you have D.O.T. Regulations.

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The regulation is "Front axle weight can not exceed 65% of gross vehicle weight" ands all manufacturers better be adhering to the FVMSSA limits or they are not only opening themselves up for massive fines but incredible liability damages as well.
  13. #1 plowtech

#1 plowtech Senior Member

Westerns, (Douglas Dynamics),"back page" on customer info pack-

Western Products makes snow and ice control products which are considered motor vehicle equipment. Installer is ultimately responsible for determining and correctly labeling vehicle with addition of snowplow or spreader selections. No product selected and installed shall render inoperative the vehicle's safety compliance.

Basically, do your homework, and make sure the equipment your installing/purchasing is "right" for the vehicle. There is much more on the line than just some weight over the ass end. Good Day. Plowtech:)