1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ballast

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Alynch, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Alynch

Alynch Junior Member

Greetings,

I am trying to locate information relative to required rear ballast, if any, for a 2006, F-150 Ford. It has a super crew cab and 8' box. I have a 7'6" BOSS heavy duty plow.

Thanks

2. Buster F

Buster F Senior Member

I also have an 06 F 150 super cab with a 2" leveling kit and a 7.5 minute mount RD. According to Fisher i should be running 750 lbs of ballast with this setup, but that seems a bit excessive to me and am planning on running 350 - 400 lbs of sandbags right up against the tailgate. I'm going to put the ballast in tomorrow and hook up the plow, i'll repost and let you know how it sits and rides when i know more.
    Roy

3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Ive got 420 pounds of ballast in my truck now, i run an 8ft fisher HD series MM1 plow.

4. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

I have 750 lbs ballast and run a Meyer MD2 7.5 poly blade. On a half ton Dodge.

Id suggest with the F150 you run about the same.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2006
  5. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

7 60 pound sand tubes.

:)

I have a mixture of tubes and 50lb bags.

6. Buster F

Buster F Senior Member

I wound up with 450 lbs of sandbags and my truck sits almost level with the plow raised and rode and drove quite well. I hope this helps.
    Roy

7. 1lowGMC

1lowGMC Member

OK, a bit of a smaller truck for ya...

01' s-10 4x4, 6.6" Meyers, 1.5" Torsion lift, 3" shackle lift

How much ballast for that BIG rig?xysport

8. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

yup!!!.......

9. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

same

i pretty much run the same setup as MCW just a little newer.... 6 60# sand tubes and 2 50# bags of magic salt which are usually empty by the end of the storm

10. a2t2p

a2t2p Junior Member

where's everyone getting there sand tubes from? i'm told home depot, but the two in town habe never heard of them before. just afraid bags are gonna rip.

how much does each tube weigh and cost???

11. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

quikrete

Sand - Tubesand®

QUIKRETE® Tubesand® (No. 1159) is a tube-shaped bag fits along side rear axle, above wheel wells or in bed of pick up trucks.

Available in:
    60 lb. bags

i get my at the home depot try your local hardware store, maybe a truck acc store, or even a nursery. they are made just for putting them into your truck for ballast

12. 1lowGMC

1lowGMC Member

no suggestions?

13. jkitterman

jkitterman Senior Member

Go scale the tiny truck with the plow on it and and add enough weight to keep it under GVWR.