1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Sciticofarms, Nov 5, 2006.

1. Sciticofarms

Sciticofarms Junior Member

:nod: I have a GMC 3500 Dually. I'm going to put a Fisher 8 1/2 XBlade on it. The system shows it weights 950 lbs. Now the question... what do you guys use for ballast? I certainly don't want the weight to shift around (that could be dangerous/useless). As you can imagine... I'm new to this industry. This web site has been very helpful. I've learned a lot. I'm impressed that you guys are so willing to help one another out. I know I'm going to enjoy working in the field. Thanks in advance.
  2. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

I used sandbags with a 2x8 across the back in the past. This year I'll be using my salter and salt.
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

On the old flat beds we used to put on the concrete parking lot bumpers and tie them down.
  4. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

I've tried sand bags ... the bags rot after a year or two. Cement blocks shift ..... So I went with 40 pound bags of water softener salt. Then after the season I lug them into the basement for use in the water softener.
  5. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

I use a refillable bladder, that fits and forms to the inside of the truck bed. Only loose about 4 inches of height, and it is non puncturable. Amounts to about 450lbs.
  6. aus316

aus316 Member

As it was said skid of salt and spreader with tool boxes works wiff me so far:gunsfiring: when salt runs low reload :gunsfiring:
  7. IndySnowPlow

IndySnowPlow Senior Member
    from Indiana

Scitico....your ballast needs to be equal to the weight of the plow. Make sure your not over the load weight of the vehicle. Auto Zone sells bladders you fill with H2o and wont break..kinda nice when they freeze and become dead weight.
  8. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Go back to the Fisher website and they have a feature where you enter in the trk & plow info and they will tell you how much ballast they recommend.

I am in the landscape business and we usually have pelletized lime hanging around and use that.
  9. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

Id probably go with 750 to 1000 in that thing. Not because of sag in the front as much as that those 1 ton duallies are always stiff in the back end and frankly almost dangerous to drive sometimes without weight in the back even without a plow on front.

I dont think you could put too much in within reason but you could go too light.

I use sandbags stacked behind the rear wheel tubs and put a 2x12 in front of them cut to width size with a believe it or not an old expandable curtain rod to hold it all down spread out against the tubs. I have a rhino liner so it all works pretty well.

Pain to get the snowblower up and over sometimes but thats that.
  10. Sciticofarms

Sciticofarms Junior Member

Water bladder for ballast!

I checked with AutoZone, but couldn't locate any bladders (on their web site). Do they call them by some other name? Thanks for the great idea! I have inserted a couple of 2x6s into the bed to contain the bladder, just need to locate one now. Thanks!:redbounce
  11. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

Try summit racing as they have the shurtrax bags. The other option is tek supply has 70 and 140 gallon pvc ag/ind. water bags. The tek supply bags have a 3/4" pipe thread outlet/inlet, perfect for installing a boiler drain so one can use a garden hose. I built a 2x6 frame for our bag that I ratchet strap down aft of the rear axle. We use a water/calcium chloride solution so we can drain the bag into 55 gal. drums in any temperature if we need to, then refill bag w/ a small electric pump that hooks to a garden hose. Never freezes, no heavy lifting of ballast and since I like rear visability (I plow w/ tailgate off) the water bag only sticks up above the truck bed floor a few inches, about the same as the 2x6 frame.
  12. sdplowing

sdplowing Senior Member

This is what I'm using for ballast. 8-2"x24"x24" concrete blocks held in place with a ripped down 2x6 frame and then the whole thing covered with a sheet of plywood and strapped down to the bed. The blocks weigh 75-100 lbs. a piece and the whole setup is only about 5" high.

SD Plowing