1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ballast

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by yooper.mi, Jul 16, 2005.

1. yooper.mi

yooper.mi Senior Member

What do you use for ballast in a pickup?

2. Swinn

Swinn Member

Try a search for ballast. I am new at this stuff so I have been doing a lot of reading lately too. Wife is not too happy with me because I have been spending some much time on here. If I did this correctly try clicking on it to get you started and good luck.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=22175&highlight=ballast

3. yooper.mi

yooper.mi Senior Member

Thanks for the come back, I plow my own 1000' driveway with two, 1 acre, yards ,one is the kids yard. I also do a driveway a half mile down the road. I'm located on the shore of Lake Superior and total snowfall of 275"to 375" total snowfall a season, this snow piles up and only melts at the end of season so you have to love to push snow.

4. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

if you're only plowing your own 2 driveways then the plow isn;t on long enough to worry about ballast.

5. yooper.mi

yooper.mi Senior Member

Actually the plow goes on in Nov and stays on till April, not putting it on and off every day or two.

6. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

yooper... I just want to say I love it up there. My dad has some propety in Silver City, right on lake superior, down the street from a chain hotel, and pourkie pine mts.

I dont like it up there in the summer, but in the winter, I love it, and everyone, DA YOOPERS are nice up there too!!!

anyway, ya it must be sweet to live up there, it'd be like a vaction everyday. LOL. Ever catch a bear?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2005
  7. yooper.mi

yooper.mi Senior Member

I have the old homestead, deer walk thru the yard,bear surround the place and geese, ducks and rainbow trout in a 4-5 acre pond. Located 15 minutes from Hancock,Houghton area.
    Spend summer getting ready for our long winter,getting too old for the great deep white north.

8. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

cheap ballast would be 60 or 80 lb tube sand from home depot/ lowes etc. usually sold more in the winter. depending on what truck you have and what plow will determine how much ballast you need.

9. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Yup, cheap sand from a home center, add sand to some 5 gal pails with covers, whatever you have that will work. I run about half a ton in the bed with about half of that being ballast at any given time (I pull from it for sanding).

If you put the plow on and leave it on, do you drive the truck constantly while the blade is on or does it sit parked?

If you're not driving it don't worry about ballast, if you are check the plow manufacturer or the truck manufacturer for ballast amounts.

I drop my blade as soon as the storm is done and I am not going back out doing anything and put it on again when the flakes start falling- I figure why wear out the front end unnecessarily and waste fuel (at 2.50 a gallon-ish)

10. yooper.mi

yooper.mi Senior Member

I use the truck for short runs, 10-20 miles. We have periods where it snows everyday for 30 days at a time. If I had a 2" trigger I would have to plow several times a day. A 4-6" trigger keeps a guy too busy.
    On my old 83 Dodge SB I used 5ea 70# suitcase weights from a farm tractor, takes up 4"Hx 20"Deep across the bed right behind the tailgate.
    I carry a 20# bag of salt,from wallyworld, to use when I'm stuck seems to work better than plain sand.

11. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

i thought everyone up there had plows. i bet bidding is fierce, depending on population of that city tho. git r dun. up here i come

12. yooper.mi

yooper.mi Senior Member

Everyone is plowing snow at the beginning of the season doing it next to nothing, when the snow banks are built up and they can't move them,the snow pushers seem to disappear.
    I use to do 5-7 driveways to help pay for my gas & repair costs. I took them at the start of season & never failed to finish the season. Also made sure they had the room to pile up 250" of snow. I could not do this to make money I just not able to phycality. After 45 years of pushing snow I just can"t quit completely.
    Let the snow begin!