1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by the05goat, Oct 1, 2012.

1. the05goat

the05goat Member

New here, and wondering what you guys are running for weight/ballast in your trucks. I have a 8.5ft mm1 ez-v, and my truck is a 2003 gmc 2500hd ext cab. Any help would be much appreciated.
  2. Plow More

Plow More Senior Member

Welcome. i have a flatbed...
  3. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I have bags of play sand, which I cover with plastic so that if I need to, I can use them on a job.

They sit on either side of the wells of the bed of my truck, so they can be stacked over the rear axle, which keeps the center open for my snow blower. The Snow blower weighs ~300 lbs by itself, and the sand adds about another 600. A few more bags of CChloride, and I'm ready.

I don't do much deicing, as most of my jobs are plows only.

Welcome to the site. Lots of good info here. Lots of people to ignore you as well...
  4. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

You probably need about 400-500 lbs in the back, I run about 500-600 depending on how many bags I have on hand.
  5. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

hi the05goat,
    yea, I think you mean how much weight, right? looks like 450lb is a pretty close guess. if you use Fisher's Ematch, you can punch in your truck and see for sure. the other factors are box size, engine and FGAWR.
    and welcome to the forum!
  6. nalegtx

nalegtx Senior Member

I run 600# (usually my snowmobile) basalt with my 8ft straight blade on my ram 2500 4door
  7. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

I built a box out of cheap plywood and 2x4s that hugs the wheel wells, filled it with sand and put a plywood lid on it. it doesnt slide around and bulk sand is way cheaper than the bags or tubes.
  8. nalegtx

nalegtx Senior Member

i almost did that GSS. Did you coat the wood with anything or just leave it as is?....i got lazy and used my old snowmobile, i would rather have something like you said.
  9. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I use some mid size retaining wall blocks. 80 pounds each
  10. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

you could stain it, paint it or bedline it. I just left it as is.
  11. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Speaking of counter weight, do you guys remove your ballast after each storm, and there is no more snow to plow ?

During a storm, there's not much traffic, so I'm not concerned that much.. After the storm, I still drive my truck around, usually daily, and having "stuff" in the back that isn't bolted down concerns me with stupid drivers that cut you off. If I hit something and come to a stop short, that "ballast" could be life threatening.

This is kind of what I'm talking about ..

Thoughts on this...?
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  12. the05goat

the05goat Member

Yeah I meant just weight I was thinking 500-600 lbs I just wasn't sure if that was too much. I was going to fab something from wheel well to wheel well to put tube sand, or 5 gallon buckets filled with concrete to center it over the axle.

Thanks for all the help
  13. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I poured concrete in my bed. Three pieces lock together behind the wheel wells. Take them out with tractor. 1200 lbs
  14. nalegtx

nalegtx Senior Member

oldmankent that's a really god idea actually, never thought of that. just puzzle pieces.
  15. winged1dur

winged1dur Senior Member

Weight over the axle is not ballast. It will help with traction but will not be as effective as weight just in front of the tailgate. Think of your front and rear wheels as the fulcrum point of a seesaw. If you hang a 600# plow on the front you need a corresponding amount in the back to balance the weight on your wheels. Why haul around 600# between the wheels when 400# in front of the tailgate will do a better job?
  16. Moss Man

Moss Man Senior Member
    from Maine

I ran 12-60# sand tubes right up against the tailgate last winter for 720 lbs, my truck is in my signature and I had the same plow you have last year. 2005 3500 SRW with the 8.5' EZ V. The 720 lbs leveled the truck out nicely and amped up the traction to the point where is seemed like a tank. The tubes were a bit of a hassle a couple times when I needed the bed to haul something, but for the most part it worked well. The ultimate set up, IMO, would be something that attached right to your reciever hitch and could be easily removed when not needed. That way it's safely attached to the vehicle and won't become a projectile in the event on an accident. Maybe it could come up slightly from the reciever and be like a second bumper but far heavier than the stock bumper, that way you still have something for impact if the truck is rear ended................ and the ballast weight could be slightly less because the weight is even farther back than the classical location of right in front of the tailgate.................:salute:
  17. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Someone here who thinks about the consequences of their counterweight shifting.

Thumbs Up

The only problem with hitch mount is that my truck is too long now, and if I hitch mounted it, I'd be sure to back into something while plowing:eek:
  18. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Good rule of thumb is ballast/counterweight should equal the the weight of the plow, and be located as far aft as possible. As mentioned, putting the weight behind the rear axle will help bring the nose of the truck up to balance it out. As you add even more ballast, it's ok to move the cg of the ballast forward to the rear axle. More weight = easier plowing
  19. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Ballast is merely weight and can be located anywhere in the truck, while a counter weight is a weight placed to have a balancing effect. While you need approximately the same amount of weight as you are trying to counter when you use a counterweight you can need significantly more weight if you merely add ballast.

A counterweight is always ballast while ballast is not always a counter weight.

I personally carry a **** pot load of ballast located as a counterweight:D
  20. KDB33

KDB33 Junior Member

What do you all think about taking 2 18 gallon Rubbermaid totes and filling them with concrete and put a rebar hook in the concrete for lifting it with my bobcat? That would have to be a couple hundred lbs and easy enough to move and i could just strap them in the bed of my truck to keep them from sliding around. I would rather move 2 of these than 10-15a bags of sand.