1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ballast

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Admiral Hockey, Oct 7, 2003.

1. Admiral Hockey

Admiral Hockey Junior Member

Just looking for a little help..........I have an 86'F-250 that I'm going start plowing with this winter. I will be using an 8' Western Pro plow with Uni-mount. The Front GVW for the truck is 3920. Any suggestions as to ballast for the truck.THANKS!!
    PS The truck has the plow/towing package on it would putting Tibrens on make a big difference
    Thanksagain
    Andy

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Welcome to Plowsite.

Not the greatest front end for a plow truck.They don't like to carry much weight.You can still add the Timbren's to help it out.Check the driver side axle beam for crack right around the leaf spring u-bolts.If caughtearly,you may be able to weld it up until you can replace it.Check the two bolts on the drivers side rear of the diff that bolt the axle beam to the center section.Make sure they are tight.They frequently come loose,and it will lead to cracking of the axle beam.

As far as ballast,800-900 lbs securely mounted in the bed will help take some of the load off the front axle.