1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ballast

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by iowasnow, Jan 27, 2011.

1. iowasnow

iowasnow Junior Member

What is everyone running for ballast in there trucks

2. newhere

newhere PlowSite.com Addict
    from Fenton

12 bags of quickcrete from the depot.

3. peterng

peterng Senior Member

I use a piece of 1"x2'x4' steel behind the rear axle. I welded up a frame to put between the front of the box and the ballast to keep it behind the rear axle using lengths of 1" square box (1/8" thick). Put a 1" thick rubber mat on top of all that business so I'd have a nice flat surface to work off of. I carry blowers and hand spreader, shovels, ice melt, equipment box etc in the back of the truck so I needed ballast that layed flat & out of my way. The steel clocks in around 350 pounds which is perfect for ballast behind the rear axle for my Ford.

I've got the same setup in the toyota, with 4 sand bags. 2 on each side. The Toy needs some extra weight to really hold her down. I've got 750lb over HD rear springs in the Toy from NWOR so it handles it fine and sits tall in the rear.
    Pete

4. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

I use about 800 lbs of bagged salt with a frame that keeps it place which, like Peter said, ruins the access to the back of the truck.

5. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

tractor weights i got from my farmer buddie

6. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I just use salt on the two trucks with spreaders, and a rear plow on the other.

7. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

I use 2 pallets to take up front space and put cinder blocks against the tailgate.

8. blee1ash

blee1ash Senior Member

I use 660 lbs. of tube sand. It is dried sand put in a tube shped sack. I place it between the wheelwells and the tailgate. I don't have anything to hold it in place, but it doesn't move much. That way it is easier to take out if I have to use the truck bed.

9. JB1

JB1 Senior Member

we just use snow.

10. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I did that for years! No unloading. Now I run a full tailgate spreader, right around 1,000 lbs.

11. catmandu

catmandu Junior Member

Four tons of concrete sand.

12. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Really 8000 pounds of concrete sand :confused:

13. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

tube sand and salt bags

14. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

no ballast but I run a #500 counter weight. A false bumper that plugs into my receiver hitch filed with lead.

15. catmandu

catmandu Junior Member

Yeah, with the plow mounted, I can't use the full capacity of my bed :) :

[​IMG]

16. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

2 tons of salt, but when it gets almost empty I lose traction, but the chevy holds the xls like a champ with no ballast.

17. iowasnow

iowasnow Junior Member

I added six samd tubes today. Leveled out the truck pretty well. Even with worn out front coils

18. Andy96XLT

Andy96XLT Senior Member

Along with this can someone give me a suggestion as to how much weight I should have in my truck? I have a 1995 F250 with the HD package and a western 7.6 plow. This past storm in NJ i noticed I was fishtailing a lot and really did not get the traction I was looking for. I had approximately 400 lbs of concrete behind the rear axle... I think my issue is i have big tires which are screwing me over... anyway can someone let me know how much more weight I should put over the rear axle? Much appreciated!!

19. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I run 2 18 gallon Rubbermaid totes in the back corners full of sand/salt- about 150lbs each full I believe. At times I run another in the middle between them. Usually that's it - they are strapped to the corners, plus snow weight plus shovels and misc... this year (when the tires get worn) I added 6 tube sand things over the axle.
    With a 7.6 on a 250, you don;t need ballast (which is behind the axle for offsetting plow weight) you need tractive weight- might want to shift that concrete forward over the axle- I wouldn't think another 400 would hurt, but if the tires are too wide, or not good snow design another 4 tons won;t help all
    that much

20. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

Andy, you need a LOT of weight on a big truck with big tires to make a difference. Load it up close to max GVWR and try to keep the weight as far back as possible. All behind the rear axle works best. The farther back the better. I use 600 lbs of tractor weights hanging off the receiver hitch on my 3/4 ton truck and it's just amazing how much better it works than having the same weight sitting in the bed. Do a search for my username and you'll find some pics of my setup.