1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ballast

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mr. Horsepower, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Mr. Horsepower

Mr. Horsepower Member

I just moved up from having a HomeSteader on my Explorer (8 years no issues) to installing a Western HTS on my 07 Tahoe. I'm going to want to put some ballast in the back for traction and a little counter balance. What would you guys use for ballast.

It's a carpeted rear area as opposed to a pickup bed, so I don't want to throw an old
    I-beam in there.

2. bighornjd

bighornjd Senior Member

Lay a tarp down first then maybe stack some bags of sand or salt back there. If you get stuck, it can be used to help you get out, or if you don't use it you may be able to find another use for it once winter is over. I would think you probably wouldn't need more than 4-500 lbs at the most. Good luck.,

3. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

I would think 300 - 400 lbs would be plenty

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Let the kids ride in back while you are plowing.

A few bags of sand should be fine.

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

bags of sand and a few of salt too
    whatever the plow weighs is what I would use for ballast

6. Mr. Horsepower

Mr. Horsepower Member

Thanks everyone for the advice. I picked up some 60lb bags of sand. Easy to load and unload and also to "adjust the ballast. I guess I'll know how much I really need after the first snowstorm, which if the last few years are an indicator, should be around the first week of December.

Thanks again

7. JeepTJ

JeepTJ Senior Member

In my Cherokee, I put my sand/salt combo in one or two covered, 18 gallon RubberMaid containers. It keeps most of the sand out of the Jeep and I use it to spot sand driveways or sidewalks. I get the sand/salt from our town's winter sand pile (free to homeowners). At the end of the season, I remove the containers and store them outside, next to the shed.

You may also want to consider getting one of those cargo floor liners for the back of the Tahoe. They are easily removed and washed clean. Something like these:

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/performance_sm/chevy~cargo_liner~performance.html

Fran

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Try to get the weight as far back in the cargo area as possible. Not easy in a Tahoe of course. But the weight will still help.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2010