1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ballast while leaving room

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by bribrius, Sep 20, 2007.

1. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

for snowblower access, place to put shovels/sand while making sure nothing moves. im kind of early so i have to dismantle it now (blocks off threaded rod wood comes out in one piece)but im open for suggestions. This went together quick however im sure some of you out there have better setups or can make suggestions on this one..

my biggest pet peave with it as of now is that i dont actually have all the weight behind the rear wheels the front block and a half are actually right over the rear wheels.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2007
  2. bribrius

suppose it better than what i used to use. just sand and boulders that sounded like they were going to come through the cab when i hit the brakes too hard. :dizzy:

3. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

nice man about how much weight is that ?

4. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

That's actually pretty smart!

5. bribrius

forty a block time 12 equals 480. another thirty in wood i would guess so maybe 510. add the snowblower (140) puts me at around 650 without any sand. i

6. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

...distributed between the front and back axle. I think your going to be in a tough spot where you have to leave room for the snow blower....

7. bribrius

mostly in the back but im sure near a hundred must be going toward the front. got that axle pivot point.
    and yeah. the snowblower just frigs it all. but i dont have time to be shoveling. suppose i could just put a few seventy pounds of sand in the back section up against the walls. short of pulling a trailer for snow equipment while plowing any suggestions?

8. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

That is a good idea but just out of curiosity, did you notch the 2x4 in the back with an axe? lol cause if so you did a good job!

9. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

It looks fastened together alright but I would anchor it also.

10. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

do you use a ramp for your snowblower? if so, or maybe just an idea, build a ramp that goes over the block, and load them to the rear. then ramp up to the truck bed, and go over it for the snowblower?
    Just a thought.

11. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

I think you could pour some 400-500lb concrete blocks that go in the sides of the bed, nice and close to the edge, and leave you plenty of room for the blower. Youve got a good foot and a half from the tailgate to the beginning of the wheel well, you can go 2' high, and out 8"-12"

12. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

I dont think 300 lbs of block is going anywhere

13. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

lol, as long as the truck isnt moving then it will not go anywhere. if you hit something hard while plowing or get into an accident it will go through the cab and through you.

14. bribrius

started with a hand jig saw. blade broke. finished using skill saw knocking out the chips. figured it wouldnt hurt just give snow blower more to grab onto getting over it.

streetsurfin' It looks fastened together alright but I would anchor it also.

good thought. i was worried about that myself. i think it is okay unless i flip the truck. the 2x4 in the back is up against the sides. the 2x6 in the front is in the factory bed (notches?) holding tight. there is one inch between the blocks and fender wells that you cant see in the pitcure. when i load the snowblower ramps they go over the one inch and run the length of the bed up onto the tailgate. since the fenders curve in as they go up it just adds to the one inch to prevent side to side movement along with the front cross brace and rear tailgate brace. i tested it with the tail gate down. drove around a rutted field and up and down some packed sand dunes. it didnt move.

jcesar do you use a ramp for your snowblower? if so, or maybe just an idea, build a ramp that goes over the block, and load them to the rear. then ramp up to the truck bed, and go over it for the snowblower?
    my first idea was laying the blocks flat, framing them, and putting the snowblower on them. i couldnt get over the tailgate without the ramps hitting to put the ends on the blocks. snowblower wouldnt drive up the blocks. figured i would have to have ten foot ramps to get the pitch right to not hit tailgate and land on blocks. or i would have to make ramps that angled over the gate or arched over the gate to land on the blocks. theni would have to make sure the snow blower was secured from moving off the blocks. through out the idea. if i put the snowblower in front of the blocks i would add weight to the front but more than that it would also be hard to pry it back over the blocks again unless i ramped it up the blocks then again back out of the truck. think it would be a headache. ill give it some thought again however.

Gicon I think you could pour some 400-500lb concrete blocks that go in the sides of the bed, nice and close to the edge, and leave you plenty of room for the blower. Youve got a good foot and a half from the tailgate to the beginning of the wheel well, you can go 2' high, and out 8"-12"

that would put me over a thousand pounds maybe over twelve hundred with the snowblower before adding sand. dont think so. but good premise.. maybe if it were one foot high or less and out to the fender wells. each side poured in two sections so i could move them in and out myself. maybe front to back 2x6's would hold the precast if i braced with a chipped out 2x4 like is on there now? thats something to consider. think the cement directly on the rhino liner on the walls will frig up the rhino liner (friction)or the walls (stress)? probably be okay if i formed them for 225 lbs. (450 total)two sections a side and put some kind barrier to prevent direct contact between the cement and the bed/wall right? sounds like a good idea. it took me ten minutes to remove this from my truck today. that would only take five provided i could lift each of the sections. something to seriously consider. i actually thought of filling a truck tool box with some cement but was afraid i would stress the bed walls to much. being a lower center of gravity and on the bed floor itself your idea may be a viable option. payup

15. stroker79

You know, that lead me to a good idea. What if you frame the truck bedsides in with wood, lay a plastic bag down in the form then pour the liquid concrete in the form. Once it hardens you remove the frame and bag and you have a perfect form fitting ballast in the bed. you would still have to have a little bracing to keep things from not moving around but the weight would be directly over the wheels and no deadspace at all. Just make sure you put some rebar and hooks into the concrete so that you can lift it out with a hoist. Hmmm, i might try that.

16. stroker79

Well i guess you beat me to it but look at my post, between us, we are right on target!