1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ballast? What do yo use?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by beatle78, Nov 25, 2008.

1. beatle78

beatle78 Senior Member

I'm looking for something that is FAST to load unload for ballast. I have a tonneau cover so it must be able to be slid into the back of the truck.

I was also thing about making a rig that slides into the 2" receiver that I can load weight into.

What do you guys use?
  2. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Do a search. You will find recent threads with at least 3 pages of posts. Use sand tubes from Home Depot / Lowes / Menards for removal of ballast. Menards by me has 70 lb bags, 10 lbs heavier than the other guys.
  3. scitown

scitown Senior Member

Last year I used sand salt mix from the town and put them in lobster bait boxes. They were a pain to move around and a pain to tie them down. This year I went and bought some cheap containers from wally world that have snap handles that keep them closed. Then I went to the depot and bought eight 50 lb bags of ice melt and four 50lb bags of salt. I picked up some cargo bars for the bed to hold them in place. You should look into something like this. You could put the cargo bar to the rear of the wheel wells and you can put a container between that and the tail gate. This way you have usable ballast in a container. Buy two containers and you can transfer the bags out of the back of the truck and into the empty container on the ground. Moving things less is key. Once in and once out.
  4. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

My truck has a Salt Dogg in the back-when its full, I have plenty of ballast:p
    My other truck we have a full pallet of salt most of the time. The pallet gets a rachet strap to keep it forward-total weight-2450#. We have a forklift so, it goes on and comes off pretty easily:rolleyes:
  5. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I have a 500# lead filled bumper that slides into into the 2" receiver
  6. beatle78

beatle78 Senior Member

I like that idea! Got any pics you can share with the class?

7. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

how easy is it to install, and remove the 500lb lead bumper though? Without a piece of equipment, or alot of beer to intice friends to come over, I see it sitting on the ground alot.
  8. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

were could you purchase the lead? can we get some pics?
  9. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

I just use a pallet of salt and load and unload using the forks on our skid, really works great and I need salt for the spreader anyway. But def look into a few of those sand bags at Lowes or where ever, they are only like 5 bucks a piece for like 70lb ones.......a few of those work great and you could leave your cover right on.
  10. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I cast the lead in 6 ingots that are bolted onto the C-channel. that way I can unbolt and have 6 75# ingots to move.

I welded a nut onto a tube that had spikes welded to it. I then cast the lead around the nut-tube-spike.

Most tire shops are happy to give you their old wheel weights.

11. scitown

scitown Senior Member

That bumper could make a lot of bullets. If you can get your hands on a sail boat keal (sp?) they are lead.
  12. timberseal

timberseal Senior Member
    from 46385

Whats wrong with just loading salt in the back? I put half a pallet of salt in the back of my F350 and it works great. I have a forklift so it makes it easy in my case but even 20 bags isn't to bad to hand load.
  13. Lil'PlowinMan93

Lil'PlowinMan93 Senior Member

Use salt bags. It kills two birds with one stone. Getcha ballast, and when you need to spread it you got it.
  14. elite1msmith

from chicago

not every truck needs to spread sometimes... this is jsut a good idea, because ballast normally gets in the way of loading snow blowers and other supplies
  15. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

Plowmeister, you are a genius! That's the best idea for ballast I have ever seen.
  16. elite1msmith

from chicago

i bet that 500 lbs hanging on your hitch feels like 8-900 set just behind the rear wheels towards the tail gate
  17. Niteman9

Niteman9 Senior Member

I have 4 2 foot X 2 foot X 2 inch steel plates. About 250 lbs each load with small Kubota tractor.
  18. fordmstng66

fordmstng66 Senior Member

i use the tube sand from lowes, home depot. Have to replace them every 2 years because they break open.
  19. beatle78

beatle78 Senior Member

Thanks Plowmeister! What a great idea and it doesn't take up any space in the back of your truck.