1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ballast weight

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by skferreri, Nov 23, 2008.

1. skferreri

skferreri Senior Member

I have a 08 f-350 super cap with a 8.6 western mvp plus on it.Im looking to add some weight in the bed and trying to find a good ballast weight.Just wondering what u guys suggest!!!!!

2. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

use the search feture. there was just a thread about this not to long ago.

I use sand tubes. Wih that size truck you have, you won't need much of a ballast unless you have a 10' Blade.

3. RepoMan207

from Maine

4. N.W.Plow

N.W.Plow Junior Member
    from N.W.

start with #500lb to 700lbs and see how it works?

5. RepoMan207

from Maine

Western only calls for 610lbs on a wide out.....thats the heaviest blade for that truck. I would start with 400lbs. Should be more then enough

6. N.W.Plow

N.W.Plow Junior Member
    from N.W.

O.k. but i have found a little more weight is good for extra traction and it gives you some extra sand to use for traction if you get stuck.

An MFG susgestion is a good place to start but it real world conditions you may have to addapt to the conditions.

7. RepoMan207

from Maine

well, yeah you can, it's not like it's going to hurt. According to fisher I am supposed to have 400lbs, I used 600lbs of sand tubes in my bed last year just to fill the wholes between the 2 x 6's. Good thing, I got hard core stuck on the last storm last year. I used all but 2 bags getting out.

8. skferreri

skferreri Senior Member

Im going to start with about 600 pounds of the sand tubes and see how it works. THANKS FOR THE INFO