1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ballast Weight

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Cfdff85, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Cfdff85

Cfdff85 Member

One question what do you guys use to apply the ballast weight? i was thinking some sort of fillable bladder i saw that weighed like 600lbs (once filled) and you can still put 300lbs or so on top of this bladder so you can still use your bed. It filled with water and anti-freeze in some proportions. I think i saw it on the TV show trucks anyone here about anything similar?
    Thank You
  2. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I just use 70 lbs. sand bags. Can think of lots of problems that could happen with that bladder. Plus, do you carry the thing loaded all winter, or refill each time?
  3. Cfdff85

Cfdff85 Member

Nope my truck bed is empty
  4. bcf

bcf Senior Member

The bags of salt that I already have to load in the truck work quite well.
  5. Luppy

Luppy Senior Member

I use 60lb bags of sand that come in these nice burlap style bags. Used bags of salt before, but the cheap plastic bags always ended up breaking.

MIAWPUKEK Senior Member

walkway stones

I'm thinking about laying out those square walkway blocks in my bed this year. I think they're made of concrete and I say each weigh close to 50 lbs each, and you can still put your snowmobile or atv right in on top of 'em.

Good idea???
  7. bobingardner

bobingardner Senior Member

I built a "ballast box" out of plywood. It's actually two separate boxes mounted on opposite ends of a piece of plywood cut to fit behind the wheel wells. Each box holds 5 4x8x15 inch cement patio blocks and each block weighs about 25lbs for a total of about 250lbs. It's a little light but the boxes are spaced far enough apart that I can get the Ariens between them to get up to the recommended weight. The nice thing about this setup is it provides covered storage space for things like groceries when the ballast isn't needed.
  8. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare Senior Member

On our trucks that don't have back plows we use concrete filled 16" truck tires with a piece of rebar across the top. We load them with the forklift or engine hoist and they stack on top of each other when not in use. They weigh about 250# each.

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

"They weigh about 250# each"

I have a semi truck tire filled the same way.

It is over 1k pounds.. If it is filled how do you stack them? As my rebar is above the rim edge is no way to stack more than 2 without falling over or dangerously wobbly.
  10. daninline

daninline Senior Member

I use the sand tubes from HD 60Lbs each I have 12 of them in the back and it's not to bad to take out if needed just a good work out :dizzy:
  11. ggwash21

ggwash21 Senior Member

Since we are on this topic i have a 94 chevy 2500 with a meyer C-8 and i have 6 75 sand bags in back and i had to turn my torsion bars up front up a lil and in 2 wd it spins so bad i have to drive around in 4wd with ot with out the plow on any ideas? and i have new tires with less then 10k on them
  12. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

ggwash you might want to try more balast.
  13. ggwash21

ggwash21 Senior Member

I'm gonna do that but the back end already sags kinda
  14. DuallyVette

DuallyVette Member

I've used sand bags. Its hard to keep them near the tailgate (which takes more weight off the front axle). The bags also tear. After busting the plastic dually fenders on my truck last year, I decided to build a low to the ground battering ram for my dually. I also welded a steel plate to it that will hold some tractor weights. I'm almost finished with it. heres a picture before the weight plate was welded on, and painted.

low bumper sm.jpg
  15. DuallyVette

DuallyVette Member

Heres a picture of the Reese Titan hitch that I altered. ( now has 3 reciever boxes on it.

two hitches sm.jpg
  16. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

I think you have a good idea, but what happens when you bottom it out. I have too many entrances with sharp approach angles. I would be stuck high and dry... :nod:
  17. DuallyVette

DuallyVette Member

I put it low to the ground to keep deep snow from busting the duallys fenders, like it did last year when I backed up in some deep snow. the snow pushed the mud flaps against the tires, and poped both fenders. I'll try it out on my steepest driveway, and probably have to raise it up. I think a tractor weight rack across the rear would be the best way to get some weight off the front axle, and some tracton on the rear.

rr busted 2 sm.jpg
  18. Silverhowie

Silverhowie Junior Member

I used 8 - 70 lbs. sand bags from Chase Pitkin (they're charging 4 for $10.00)
    I don't think I'd feel safe with concrete blocks in the back...something about them coming thru the back window in an accident (unless they were secured)
  19. ggwash21

ggwash21 Senior Member

Wekll i figured my problem out a lil i have a C-8 meyers and the A frame was off of an older plow and was 8 inches longer then a EZ mount A frame.. My plow is sticking out farther then should be and is killin my truck!!!! I looking for a new A frame
  20. new2it

new2it Member

stupid ballast ideas...

Here is a (not so good) picture of the ballast I was running the day after I moved into my new house. That would be my Harley riding along in the back. Didn't have time or space to unload it. You can just see the mirrors peaking over the top of the bed.
    p.s. I wouldn't recommend this as ballast for obvious reasons!