1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ballast weight in Crew Cab?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by plowman350, Nov 29, 2004.

1. plowman350

plowman350 Senior Member

For those of you who are crazy enough (like me) to plow with a 4 door crew cab (Mine's a F350), my question to you is this:

Do you use a ballast weight in the bed of the truck? How much? I has an 8' steel boss blade put on my F350 and the guy at the dealer tells me that with the all the extra weight of the bigger cab, no reason for ballast. The other day it was icy out, but no snow yet, and my back tires were slipping while driving down the road. Just wondering what the rest of you do.

Also, my truck has the 150amp alternator with snowplow prep package. I only have a single battery, and again the boss dealer tells me that's all I need. I have a small magnetic beacon on the roof, and use back up lights too.

It just seems that for once in life, the dealer is telling me I don't need to spend more money, but it seems to go against what everyone else is running.

Any comments/suggestions?

2. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

you need about 400-500 lbs of balast either over your rear axle or behind it. all the crew cab does it put more weight on your front axle, which is what you dont want. a dual battery setup would be good and less demanding on the electrical system.

3. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

I'm crazy too. I run a 97 GMC 3500 crew dually. I put 500 lbs ballast in. Makes it a lot better. Run one battery with 130 amp. alt. You will be fine the way you are but you can add all the whistles you can afford.

4. Breck75

Breck75 Senior Member

I have a 7 1/2 Boss on my 1/2 ton and the dealer said I didn't need any ballast either however, I used my plow last week and I did need the ballast. I have started out with 400 and may add more. I know your truck weights more than mine so maybe you won't need as much. Breck

5. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

I am a big believer in ballast in a plow truck while some are not. Myself I usually run about a minimum of 800lbs and a lot more than that when it is bad. My "logic" is it improves stabilty and it helps the rear axle to do more of the pushing too (since it is the strongest axle in your truck as a rule too) There have been times when I have actually plowed light to moderate snow in 2WD too because of it.

6. plowman350

plowman350 Senior Member

Thanks

Well, the guys on plowsite come through again!! thanks for the tips. I'll be putting some weight in my truck, and consider a second battery only if it causes problems.

Thanks, and happy plowing!