1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ballast Weight and Chains

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Cfdff85, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Cfdff85

Cfdff85 Member

How do you determine the correct amount of ballast weight you should have in your truck? Can i also get some opinions on tire chains???

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Go to the web site for your brand of plow. There should be a section for plow selection. It'll tell you what ballast according to your vehicle and plow selection. If you're having trouble with it, post what truck/plow you've got and someone will try to help you.

3. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

Chains? Are they legal where you live? Ballast? Look at Mick's answer

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I looked up the information on your profile. Then, I went to the Meyer site and tried, but it couldn't find anything like I thought it'd have. I'd guess your plow to STL 7.5 which weighss 520 pounds. If that's it, I'd estimate ballast for it to be about 250 pounds. Somebody else might know more exactly, though.

5. Cfdff85

Cfdff85 Member

Yea... Chains are legal in CT when there is snow/ slush on the road. They must come off when the road is dry or only wet