1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ballast Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MIAWPUKEK, Jan 16, 2006.

MIAWPUKEK Senior Member

This year I am thinking about puting ballast in the box of my truck. Just wondering what other peope are using for weight? What would be the easiest thing to use, and where should it be in the box (front or back)? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!:confused:
  2. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

If you do a simple search for "ballast" you will come up with a bunch of threads on this topic. I use 600 lbs. of concrete pillars behind my rear wheels. There's 4 of them at 150 lbs. each. I find myself plowing in 2wd most of the time. The setup works great.
  3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

This one might come up in your search.http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=31991http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=25364 You should recognize this one...http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=27794
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2006
  4. icebladez

icebladez Member
    from sask

i'll be using about20-30 5ft chunks of firewood,if i get stranded..i can make a fire and send smoke signals,indian style:jester:
  5. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

70 lb. bags of sand. 8-10 of them. As far to the rear as possible.
  6. bfbchief

bfbchief Junior Member
    from CT

I built a box the width of my bed and as high as the bed, went to my town highway department filled the whole thing with sand and put it as far back in my bed as I could. I have an 1987 F350 that had a very hard time plowing even in 4 wheel drive (back end was just too light) did this haven't had a problem yet....to tell you the truck I could probably add another box....
  7. golden arches

golden arches Senior Member

I switched from bags to pails of sand. Keeps the sand dry, easy to get to when stuck (occasionally), easy to handle, and stacks nicely in barn in off season (or when it STOPS snowing, like this year!).

About 80# per 5 gal pail. I get mine from a local bakery at $1.00 each including the lid.
  8. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

9. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Main thing is SECURED from flying forward in a wreck and behind the rear tires. Other than that be creative :)
  10. meathead1134

meathead1134 Senior Member
    from MA

tubes of sand from home depot 60lbs a piece for 3.00 I bought 8 of them. I've also got a big plastic tool box filled with sand all together I have 950lbs in the rear end. I usually end up plowing in 2wd most of the time