1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ballast retainer

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by JimACM, Dec 1, 2011.

1. JimACM

JimACM Junior Member

Does western still make a ballast retainer ? I find reference to one but it is not listed on any websites to buy PN 62849,
  2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I have never seen such a thing from Western and that part number doesn't come up with anything when I searched the western site. At our shop we just build simple things out of wood. We recommend a simple two by four frame that will hold two by two foot concrete patio stones. They are so thin and heavy that they don't fill up the truck but provide the weight you need. It is also easy to get the right weight with them. They weight about forty to sixty lbs each so people will take two, four or eight depending what they need. This works a lot better than a load of pit run in the back as some people do.
  3. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

You could find some small car tires and fill them with concrete. Put a hook in the center so that you can tie it up, or just built a frame to hold them in like mentioned above.

4. JimACM

JimACM Junior Member

Thanks for the replys , I dont understand this . I just bought a new 8ft Pro plow series2 and in my owners manual they talk about this ballast retainer and there are none to be found on the internet . I will contact the dealer / installer and find out why
  5. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

very easy to build your own, you only need wood, saw, tape measure, pencil & a square
  6. 7_below

7_below Senior Member

Agreed, and its about a 2 beer project. Very simple... :drinkup:
  7. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

i thought a ballast retainer was a technical term for 2x6
  8. bsieb

bsieb Junior Member
    from NJ

I must have made mine a 3 beer project cause I used a 2x12
  9. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

here u go:

these should be standard.....
  10. JimACM

JimACM Junior Member

Yes thats it ! I had seen that pic but can not find anyone that has it on a website . I asked at a western dealer and it is aprox $125 and you still need to buy the wood for the frame . Thats probably why it is not on websites ..they probably don't sell many.
    I will probably just build a frame out of wood after i get the tube sand from home depot and see how the bags fit against the tailgate. I will try 6 bags 360 lbs and see how it feels in the truck. I have a 2500 crewcab 6 1/2 box with an 8 ft pro plow
  11. snocrete

snocrete Banned

It took some 2x10, screws, & a 6pack to get this one done.

12. mishnick

I have a 600lb welder in the back of my truck, the "ballast retainer" consists of four bolts.... Typically around here they just dump a bucket of pit run in the box. I can see why I have never seen one of these Western versions, the kit is expensive and you still have to built most of it yourself.
  13. MarkEagleUSA

MarkEagleUSA Senior Member

Here's my 456 lbs of ballast.

I'm using 12 4x8x16 solid concrete blocks that weigh 38 lbs each. The frame is pressure treated 2x8's and it fits into the built-in retainers in the bed liner. I haven't installed them yet but I have 2 pieces of flat stock to attach to the rear of the box that will hang down at the edge of the floor to help keep everything from sliding forward.

14. mishnick

Very nice build job, neat and tidy. But I have one question... I have been taught that the ballast should be placed directly over the rear axels. Have you done it like this in the past? Any problems regaining control in a skid?
  15. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

The ballast should be behind the rear axle. The truck's two axles act as fulcrums. The plow is in front of the front axle/fulcrum, therefore the ballast is most effective when placed behind the rear axle/fulcrum.
  16. MarkEagleUSA

MarkEagleUSA Senior Member

Thanks. I used stainless steel deck screws and outdoor construction adhesive when I built the box. The thing is solid and there's less than 1/4" of movement of the blocks in either direction.

Western (and every other plow manufacturer that I've seen) says ballast must be behind the rear axle. Here's what it says in the Western Owner's Manual:

The purpose of ballast is to take weight off of the front axel (it's not for traction as many people believe). If it's over or in front of the rear axle, it becomes additional weight on the front end which is usually not a good thing.

I haven't yet been involved in a nasty skid but the truck doesn't really seem to handle much differently when the plow is off. Of course, I don't drive like a teenager anymore either so that might have a positive effect! ;)
  17. mishnick

That is good information, We never discussed this on the Western course, but then we hardly talked about sanders at all. I learn something new every day on this site and I am gratefull for it. Thanks guys for this insight.