1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ballast recommendation?

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by jrs 94, Jan 13, 2015.

1. jrs 94

jrs 94 Junior Member

2002 tahoe with an MD 75. Truck has timbrens and torsion bars turned up a bit. Any recommendation on ballast to add? Thanks

2. hedhunter9

hedhunter9 Senior Member

Here is what I use.... About 800lbs. Fits behind my wheel wells.
    Bob

ballast2.jpg

3. JSutter101

JSutter101 Member

Which engine and which GVWR is your Tahoe?

4. jrs 94

jrs 94 Junior Member

5.3 and 6900.

5. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

800 lbs is overkill, and the engine and gvwr are irrelevant as well. Just put about the weight of your plow behind your rear axle and you're good to go. So about 400 lbs should be just fine.

6. JSutter101

JSutter101 Member

Snowdogg's selector, with a 5.3, 6800 GVWR, and MD75, lists a minimum ballast of 0. With the MD80 its 200 lbs. I'd start there.

You say that, but Snowdogg recommends different minimum ballast depending on the truck. What can be done and what the manufacturer recommends are not the same. They don't even list the MD75 for a 6500 GVWR Tahoe and the MD68 needs a minimum of 880 lbs at that GVWR.

7. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

They only ask that so that they don't recommend an amount that will exceed the manufacturer's GVWR or either axle rating. 6 70 lb bags of tube sand behind your rear axle will not overload your vehicle, will give you more rear wheel traction, and will offset the amount of weight on the front axle.

8. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

In a Tahoe I would be a bit concerned about the weight being able to fly forward in a crash. That happened near me. The guy had a big chunk of concrete in his pickup. He slid off the road into the ditch and hit a driveway culvert. His weight mashed down the front of the box into the cab and broke the driver's neck.

9. hedhunter9

hedhunter9 Senior Member

800lbs is NOT overkill.
    You need more weight in the back of that thing.
    1st off to offset the weight of the plow hanging off the front .
    2nd because that thing is light in the rear already...

with 800lbs in the rear it will be much better balanced and get much
    better rear traction..

bob

10. jrs 94

jrs 94 Junior Member

Truck dips about an inch with the current timbren and torsion bar set up. I've got a couple hundred pounds of steel plate from the old weight lifting days. I'll see what that does. The flying weight in a crash is definitely a concern. Thanks for the replies. Now just need some snow.

11. hedhunter9

hedhunter9 Senior Member

I would not want a bunch of weight flying forward in the event of a crash, so make sure whatever you use, it is secured someway.
    The cement ballast I showed, has 4 eyelets molded in.
    The wheelwells prevent it from sliding forward and we have chained
    it down in the bed thru the eyelets as well.
    I too saw what happens with an un-secured cement ballast .
    The one I saw blew out the back, taking the tailgate off !
    Bob