1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ballast question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by charlg, Nov 6, 2007.

1. charlg

charlg Member

I have an 07 2500 HD 'classic' (6.0 / 4:10) with a new Fisher 8' HD. Fisher recommends a 460lb ballast. Do most Chevy owners go by the book, use less weight, or nothing?
  2. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

more weight. figure the ballast just offsets the plow some. now what about traction?
  3. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

I have an 06 2500HD Duramax, they recommend like 700lbs for me (Curtis 8' with wings), I put in 480 and it needs more.
    I just put in timbrens and i hope that helps.
  4. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

To answer your question, I would bet most do nothing. From the start most installers don't supply the ballast. Some do you ask, yup they do. Most guys are using their trucks from this and that and just put on the plow and go. Is it right, is it the best for traction and safety? No it isn't at all. Once you have the proper ballast you'll fell and see the truck just handles much better because it not teetering on the front wheels.It also lets the rear tire do their job. Find a spot indoors if you can for sand bags behind the rear axle, the further back the less you'll need. Timbrins are great for helping the front end on your GM as well because the biggest 4800# torsion bars are still getting close to max 60% rule with all that weight of a plow along with 6.6 Duramax and Allison 1000.
  5. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

I run about 800lbs behind the rear axle and about 600-800lbs on the rear axle as weight for pusing in 2wd. Yaz has got very good points thought.
  6. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

i keep 800 lbs over the axle.
  7. charlg

charlg Member

Thanks guys for the good advice. I will use fisher's guide and put in close to 500lbs (probably sand bags). Do you take the weight out in between storms?
  8. Philbilly2

My weight is a fuel transfer tank on the axle so, no that stays in, but I use the fuel so, i guess I take it out slowly. The weight behind the axle, is tractor weights. Those I take out if I am going to drive my truck any distance. I do not drive my tuck to work every day as, I have a company work truck so I don't get to. If you only have around 500lbs, I wouldn't worry about it to much.
  9. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

I tend to leave my ballast in the bed all winter long. Even when the plow isn't on there it help the rear wheels bite better.
  10. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

With a good amount of weight you will find it will plow in 2 wheel drive fairly well.
  11. Philbilly2

I 2nd that!
  12. 99zr2

99zr2 Senior Member

I don't know the exact weight but I use a plastic tool trunk like you could buy at Walmart. Then I put aprox. 20, 5 gal sand buckets in it. I would hazard to guess that it weighs in at about 800 lbs.
    This year I am going to put it over the axle. I used to put it at the tailgate but it was a pain to put anything in the bed.
    I leave it in all winter to. I also use a company vehicle to travel to work.
  13. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

I put about 800-900 lbs over the axle in my 01, last year in my 06 I just put a pallet of 50# bags of salt in the bed, so gradually the ballast amount went down, but I always had about 8-10bags left over per storm so I was fine.

BTW: turn the t-bars 5-6 turns, and if you want get timbrens for the front and airbags in back.
  14. charlg

charlg Member

I thought about Timbrens, but you would think a 2500hd could support the plow and a ballast. I did notice that the factory rubber looked almost as tall as a Timbren would be. Do they add something extra with the plow package?
  15. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I have a 2500HD and I plow in 2 wd drive i would have to say 90% of the time. The truck is more manuevarable and with the weight of the salt in the back there is no need for the 4x4. Saves me also on gas.
  16. swa136

swa136 Senior Member

Also consider being able to stop your truck when a mom with a mini van full of kids pulls out in front of you. Everyone here is talking traction for GO, don't forget traction for STOPPING! My application only calls for 150 lbs., but I use it, and make sure it's secured too.:salute:
  17. gcsupraman

gcsupraman Senior Member

I run about 600lbs....much better traction and prevents sagging of the front end with the plow up. I will work w/o ballast....but much better with.
  18. Philbilly2

DANG, I forgot about that stopping part. :eek: