1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ballast question

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by tinymitymo, Oct 14, 2007.

1. tinymitymo

tinymitymo Member

When you use ballast in the back of your rig......

And you take the plow off........

What do you do with the ballast??

Leave it.....Remove it???

You guys with spreaders just empty it out on the run but.....

With the plow off....Extra weight is not necessary....

Probably a stupid question.....But I ain't real smart....:blush2:

Last edited: Oct 14, 2007
  2. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

"With the plow off....Extra weight is not necessary...."

It can help though. I usually just move mine forward to the front of the bed unless I need all the bed space.

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Not a stupid question. Why? Because a lot of guys forget to put the plow back on the same way they took it off (weight in the back or not). But, usually, they'll only do it once. Actually, the best way would be to take the ballast out before taking the plow off; then put it back in after hooking up again. That ensures the plow will align with the truck should you be unable to get the same amount of ballast for some reason.

The worst is having a loaded Vbox when you unhook that is now empty when you go to hook back up. That front end is now WAY lower than the plow. You're going to have to hold up the plow while you adjust the jackstand. The problem is that you forgot to measure how much you need to drop it, so you're either still too high or too low. Time to find the bottle jack.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2007