1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ballast Question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by coppertec, Nov 10, 2013.

1. coppertec

coppertec Member
    from calgary

So Ive got my shiny new plow installed on my truck all set for my first season of plowing. the MVP 9 footer I put on it makes my 3/4 ton's ass stick up in the air. I was told I need to counter balance it with about 550lbs.

I havent gone to get any sand and I am going to be pushing my first bit of snow tomorrow with it. should I be concerned with any thing having the front end stick down so much? I can only think of a loss of traction being an issue but I dont wanna bugger up my suspension or something...

2. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

You need ballast so as not to over load your front suspension. Putting weight in the back makes your rear axle act as a fulcrum an takes some of the weight of the plow off the front axle when it's lifted. That way the front end won't drop as much. Also, when driving with no ballast you have no weight on your rear axle w/ plow lifted and that won't be very fun driving around with a tail happy truck. I have an F350 crew cab and I use 10 80lb bags of sakrete that I picked up at lowes for 30$. Easy in and out and low profile. Just be sure to put whatever you do use behind the rear axle by the tailgate. If you load it by the cab, that will put the weight on the front axle and be useless.

3. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

Also, if its really that bad and you are using a 9ft blade... I'd run a bit more than 550 lbs... Just sayin

4. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

Like 07 said you dont just want ballast you want counterwieght , ballast can be anywhere in the bed counterwieght is placed behind the rear wheeles. All counterwieght is ballast , not all ballast is counterwieght . Using the same or even more counterwieght as your plow wieghs is a good amount to start with.

5. watatrp

watatrp Senior Member

I put 1000 lbs of sand on the back of my flatbed for ballast/counterweight. My 9.5 MVP weighs around 1000 lbs so it levels things out nicely.

6. coppertec

coppertec Member
    from calgary

Hey guys, thanks for the reply, I figured it would have to go above/behind the rear axle to make a difference. I can probably still find some left over sandbags from the floods on Kijiji here otherwise I'll just go buy something. First trial seems successful tho!

7. coppertec

coppertec Member
    from calgary

Here's a pic of my rig

IMG_00001146.jpg

8. hardwoodcd

hardwoodcd Senior Member

I run a 3/4 ton dodge and have found that 1000# behind the rear axle right up against the tailgate is perfect for me.

9. The 2011 plus HD Chevy with plow prep has front axle ratings of 5200, 5600, or 6000 lbs. depending on options. You can load the box 3/4s full of drywall sheets, pile on 2X4s to the bed rails and tail will still be above level. Most plow companies will say no ballast is required on a 2500 regular cab with the long box. I run ballast anyhow to balance things out, keep it behind the wheel wells and secure it from moving forward and up.

10. #1 plowtech

#1 plowtech Senior Member

Ya Hey Der Coppertec,

Yer pushin da snow the wrong way!!! LOL:dizzy:

11. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

He did say that the plow made the ass end of the truck stick way up high..... I guess he wasn't kidding....:cool:

I think he needs some new Ballast.... or counterweight depending on how you can fit 1036 lbs in the back of the truck..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik-RYOy7nME

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013