1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ballast on a truck with a sander and no sand in it

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jasonz, Jan 4, 2014.

1. jasonz

jasonz Senior Member

Im looking for a way to carry a decent amount of ballast on my f550s that have yard and a half spreaders on them. the trucks are 2wd and did great with a load of sand/salt in the hoppers but unfortunately the load froze.
    I could probably squeeze a half mafia block on each side of the spreader giving me about a ton and a half plus the empty spreader. Id like to run a bit more but don't want to be over loaded when I do have a load on. I also don't want to remove my "temporary ballast" each time before I get loaded with salt.

Any ideas? The trucks have 12' landscaper bodies on them so plenty of space in front of the sander but not much over or behind the axle.

2. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Had the same problem when I had my International 4700. As I used up salt my traction went bye bye. I loaded each side of sander with a bunch 90lb retaining wall blocks.

3. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Does the load freeze during the event? Do you off load when you're done? I don't have this problem but it would seem many do. Be kinda neat if you could heat the spreader off the exhaust with a cover and some flex pipe. Seems silly to use extra ballast when you could be carrying product.

4. jasonz

jasonz Senior Member

I guess it froze during the event, it was only on for 24-26 hours before I tried to use it.

5. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Only! Another thing I noticed is if the salt sits in the sander for an extended period it seems to become packed down and it's sometimes is tough to get it moving when you go to salt.

6. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Sand does pack...when we did sand we cut it with a higher percentage of salt to stop this from happening.

7. jasonz

jasonz Senior Member

since the half mafia blocks are too big to fit I was thinking of pouring some custom blocks that will fit, then I have to figure out how to secure them. The idea of heating the sander with exhaust like some larger trucks heat the body is nice but not practical for this.

8. Sabsan84

Sabsan84 Senior Member

I have been having the same freezing problem in my vbox spreader the past few deep freezes, it is starting to get ridiculous. Any suggestions, people say to empty it, but its not practical to plow empty. A electric heater would be ideal, I wonder if such a product exists.

9. jasonz

jasonz Senior Member

Next year I'm going to make a form and pour two long concrete blocks for each side. As a fix this year I put 25 50lb bags of sand on each side. So 2500lbs plus the empty sander. Even when you load the sander with the bags still on the truck it's not to heavy and you use the sand up fast so it's not like you are driving around a long time with the heavy load of the bags plus the loader sander