1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ballast on 2WD F450

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by EdNewman, Feb 11, 2010.

1. EdNewman

EdNewman Senior Member

I have a 2WD F450 rack body with a 8' plow on it for plowing commercial lots. It does ok on tire only and I have tried to run chains when we get big snows. The chains never seem to fit right and I end up breaking them a lot. I have not traditionally run much ballast, I have two steel plates in the back right now, they are about 1000lb a pc. The truck has about a 7000lb payload capacity (8900 less body). How much ballast weight should I run? As much as I can? Does it really help traction that much?

2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Ballast does wonders. Back when the tires on my 98 were good I commonly plowed in 2wd (more like 1wd, no posi traction) and I was pushing a 9.8' plow. I ran about 15-1800lbs of ballast.

I'd say 3500-4k in the back of your truck more wouldn't hurt, a good set of drive tires, and a good operator should push good. And I'd have a bigger plow then an 8' on that, probably at least a 8.6ft. A Blizzard 8611 would look nice.

3. ohiogreenworks

ohiogreenworks Senior Member

Saw a guy the other day with a 2wd f-350. He had a good size, probably 3 ft high, catch basin in the back of his truck. I bet it worked out pretty good. As far as how well weight helps, I plowed a 6inch storm in 2wd with 2 tons of salt in the spreader, in the 2002. Have really nice tires tho, cooper m&s's, awesome snow tires!

4. bub3020

bub3020 Member
    from ma.

i plow with a 2wd f350, 9 ft fisher and with the 2 yd sander loaded ive never even wished it was 4wd. but ill admit the sander is also in a utility body loaded with tools!

5. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

I would try 4000lbs in the bed and see how it operates, if it needs more then put more.

6. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I'd put 2.5 tons on the truck and put at least a 9' plow on it as well. Or some wings on your 8'

7. cpsnowremoval

cpsnowremoval Senior Member

Yeah it does
    i put only 250 over my rear axle and brought the front of my truck up a little when the plow was up

8. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

There is a guy around here who plows with a 06 450 CC 4x4. The truck has a 9.2vxt with wings. He told me he never uses 4wd but he has 3800lbs of JD weights in a bracket bolted to his aluminum flatbed. Truck seams to push well.
    Robert

9. EdNewman

EdNewman Senior Member

Ok, I'm sold. I'm going to load it up next storm and see how it does.

10. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

we run about 2K worth of gravel backed up against our tailgate with a bulkhead in our 98 3500 dump 2wd. We run bfg all terrains in the back as well and it works well until you hit alot of deep wet snow b/c the blizzard holds alot.

11. EdNewman

EdNewman Senior Member

I am running General LMT450's. I used to run BFG's on my Excursion and it was an animal plowing, but they don't make them in 225-75-19.5. As far as ballast, I think I am going to pick up two "mafia blocks" they are 2'x2'x6' and weigh about 3000# a piece and are easy to load in and out with my excavator.

12. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Your truck is going to push great then. Now just need a bigger plow. :D

13. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

I would put 2 pallets of salt (5000#)on the back and then it will push like Hell:nod:

14. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

you only put 2k in steel weights in the back?

you have a capacity around 8k? Put 8k in it then lol.

We put 3-5k in our F350 dually and usually run it in 2wd most of the time plowing with a 9 footer boss plow.

without weight, the truck cant move worth squat. Add 2k, now your getting somewhere, add another 2k and now your muscling through the snow. Load an f450 up with another 2-3k and your pushing big piles.

15. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Just put 2 ton on the back of her, make sure ya call the 4x4 believers who say that ya cant plow with 2wd singles or duallys. Signed . 3 Chev 3500 HDs with sanders and plow equipped.

16. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

Thats exactly what my buddy does-Only with one block though. It does well on the one open parking lot that the truck is assigned to.