1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ballast necessary with empty fisher polycaster?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by vt properties, Jun 13, 2010.

1. vt properties

vt properties Senior Member
    from vermont

I have a 09 f250 w 8' fisher mm2 and I am purchasing a fisher polycaser 1.8 yrd or 8' hopper. I was curious if the weight of the empty unit is enough weight. My concern is the weight is spread evenly across the bed and not focused aft of the rear wheels. I usually ran 430lbs. of ballast, at least all of last year with the truck. Also does anyone think i will need a suspension upgrade maybee timberons?

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

3. vt properties

from vermont

Wow thats a lot of ballast. It recomends that i run 410lbs. of it with the weight aft of the real wheels , so I put sand bags back there all last year. Why so much weight, my truck sat pretty level with the plow raised. i know how much the polycaster weighs , i was just concerened because the weight is spread out in the rear and not to the rear of the truck.

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

More weight = easier plowing.

5. vt properties

from vermont

any suggestion on how to put some extra weight in the hopper without bulk salt and sand in the hopper. I drive to a huge construction company and either fill the hopper myself or they do it for me, depends on if they are there. I set up a account with them and pay by the yard. Maybee sandbags in there towards the rear? Also i read a lot of youre posts, very helpful thank you.

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I would plow with a yard of sand in the spreader. That's what I have always done. What cab/engine do you have? The additional weight of that little 8 footer shouldn't be a big deal on your front axle.

Glad you found most of my posts helpful. I try to help out as mulch as I can.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
  7. vt properties

from vermont

Standard or single cab and 5.4L. I was just wondering because with the spreader and say a yard and half of material there will be a lot of weight with the plow. The truck is great, plowed with it all last year she is built. I have a 03 f350 dump body with a 9' fisher straight blade and a fisher procaster steel box . I was thinking about the need for timberons for the rear, or is that unnessary? The 350 is just a standard suspension and we put a yard and a half at a time in her hopper, she handles it fine.

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The manufacturers (Fisher in this case) provide "ballast" guidelines based on FAWR, engine/cab combo, and plow weight. It really should be called counterweight. The purpose of counterweight is to take weight OFF the front axle when the plow is on. It also helps to ensure the F/R load ratio is within FMVSS specs when the plow is mounted.

You'll be fine plowing with the empty PolyCaster, but once you start plowing with a couple thousand pounds of extra weight, you'll wonder how you ever did it before.

As for Timbrens, they help a bunch, and many guys run them. I put airbags on my 97K2500, they worked better for my uses.

9. vt properties

from vermont

Thank you . I'll post some pics this winter. I am already begining to start some bidding for next year, I will go full swing in mid august.

10. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

I think you'll be fine with an 8' straight and the spreader in the back, we do it all the time with plows much heavier than that. Yes, the truck will have better traction with more weight in the back, but it's not worth spending money on material you may not use. Also keep in mind that a full hopper of salt or sand adds a lot of weight, and therefore increased wear and likelihood of damage if you hit something plowing. Some ballast is good, but we try to avoid plowing with full spreaders.

You may want Timbrens or Air bags, but it probably wont be necessary, you're plowing with a Ford, not a GM car... ;)

11. vt properties

from vermont

I usually plow and then return fo application of sand salt ect.. many of my accounts are near the place to buy and load bulk, It seems that i will experiment, sometimes a storm can last for 2 even 3 days and having sand freeze in the hopper is not good. Thanks for the info, I'll have to experiment, the f350 dump goes like hell and there is no stopping that when it has 2 yards in the hopper..