1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ballast ideas?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by jomofo, Oct 20, 2009.

1. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

Hi guys - I'm rethinking my ballast in prep for this season and wanted to bounce this off you guys... The setup is a ram 2500 hemi, SRW, quad cab, 8' bed, 9.2 Boss VXT.

Last season, I plowed with some combination of snow and firewood in the back of the truck, basically full. While it certainly held the rear end of the truck down, I didn't like that it also weighted the front axle, and that it took 45 minutes to load or unload the truck.

At some point, I switched over to having about 850 lbs of tube sand in the back, behind the wheel well. I haven't had enough experience with it to know if that really will get it done all winter. Because the plow weighs about 900 lbs, most of which hangs about foot beyond the end of the frame, I'd think I need at least 1000 lbs back there to really compensate. It's easy enough for me to pick up another 3 or 4 bags of sand, but that'll bring me up to about 18 bags, which starts to get to be a pain in the ass itself...

What I'd really like to do, is have something in back that I don't ever need to remove... possibly a weighted bumper, or maybe bolt some plate steel under frame in the back... I'm not concerned about the added weight in the summer - going up and down the hills around here, the hemi gets about 13 mpg regardless...

So anyway - what do you guys think? Thanks! :drinkup:
  2. Deckscapes

Deckscapes Senior Member

Try mounting some tractor weights to something in the back of your pickup bed...like a 2x12 going from side to side behind the fenderwells
  3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Someone here has a Jeep with a lead filled bumper.
  4. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Do you have a tractor/skid/etc that you have forks and could lift a pallet of something on and off as needed??
  5. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

I always carry apx. 15 +/- 50lb. bags of salt for my sidewalks, ect. and when I run low, just refill, do you have any use for a tailgate salt spreader? 2 birds with 1 stone Good luck with ur project
  6. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

Thanks for the suggestions guys... still not really sure what I'm going to do with this - maybe I'm just being too picky, or maybe the sand bags are about as good a easy solution as I'm going to find... Seems like the tractor weights would be the same sort of deal, except I'd have to do something with the mount when I pull them out of the bed... Salt is NG... I live in the middle of the national forest and spreading salt on the trails is mui illegal-o... I wish I had a skid with a fork - or a hypdraulic tailgate lift and dump insert - either would work fo this, but neither will be a reality any time soon...

That lead filled bumper sounds like it might have some merit... Anyone ever seen something like taht permaently affixed rahter than hitch mounted?
  7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Why do you need ballast?

Try this, get some old tires and put a piece of wood or metal inside it pour some cement in it with a hook in the cement so you can use a lift or something to take it out.
  8. Green Image

Green Image Junior Member
    from Iowa

I would just strap a few of our congress men and women in the bed behind the axle. Their about as good of dead-weight as you will find, and as slimy as they all seem to be you could park on an incline and open the tailgate to let them slide right out when you don't want the weight.
  9. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

Just keep a snowmobile in the back.tymusic
  10. GreenAcresFert

GreenAcresFert Senior Member

have a sheet of steel cut to fit the bed...gues this would only work if you have a hi lo or skid
  11. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

Hi guys new to the site i use to have apiece of die plate from a local machine shop it has threaded holes for a circle hook, and just take it out with a chain fall
  12. johnslawn

johnslawn Member
    from ma

3 Rubbermaid tubs with covers. filled with sand/salt mix that my town puts out for residents. If ever in need of it jump back there with a shovel. If for some reason I need to use bed I have to shovel out tubs. Works for me.
  13. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

I'm going to try welding up a reciever hitch mounted bracket to hold tractor weights this year. That puts them as far back as possible for maximum weight transfer and keeps them safely contained in the event of an accident so they don't become projectiles. I'll let you know how it works.
  14. alternative

alternative PlowSite.com Addict

Try using 2=four foot precast concrete steps -they stay put and two guys can easily take them out as needed. *actually if your creative, its not hard for one guy to manuever these steps in and out of a pick up
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
  15. Bolt-1

Bolt-1 Senior Member

As im reading this, for a second i thought you were from TAXACHUSETTS ! :laughing: