1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ballast Ideas?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Hammer24, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Hammer24

Hammer24 Junior Member

Just looking for ideas on what to use for ballast weight...My was thinking of using sand bags. Does anyone know where I can get the bags??? Or maybe I'll use one of your ideas.

2. willie dexter

willie dexter Member

if you go to page 2 of the threads, they chime in on this. one guy said he gets sand tubes from home depot and fills them with sand

3. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

I bought a water filled bladder from a local guy. Forms to the truck bed and holds water. Freezes and ends up like 450 lbs. I like it, But I dont have a salt spreader in the bed either.

4. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

I like the sand tubes idea myself. They'll help weigh down the rear end and if you get stuck you've got plenty of sand to toss under the tires.

I'll be using 50lb bags of ice melt myself...the facilities guy at work told me to just back up to the loading dock and his guys would throw 300-400lb back there.

5. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

home depot will have tube sand pretty sure of this i am thinking they come in 50 or 70lbs bags... hope that helps,,,oh yeah and if you cant get anything there call who ever you get mulch from of your local supply cuase they most likly will have something to help you out

6. BJH Snow

BJH Snow Senior Member

Ballast's

You can pick up Sandbags at The Home Depot or Menards at times you will find them at your local hardware store also. At the Home Depot they come in 50 or 60 pound bags for about $3 or you can get the 70 pound tubes for a little more. I carry sand tubes (that way I can use them if I need to) in addition to a couple 5 gallon buckets with a salt and sand mixture so I can use them for sidewalks and slippery areas on driveways. In addition to the sand bags, in the past I have used weights from an old tractor and lined them up in the rear of my truck bed. Then I placed some sandbags on top to keep them together. and stop them from sliding to the front.

7. Rowski

Rowski Senior Member

The Chevy uses tube sand bags between the rear wheel wells, about 800 lbs. Also put some 2x6's on edge to keep them from sliding around.

The Ford wrecker doesn't need any as it weighs in at arounds 10K lbs.

The International Scout uses (3) 5 gallon pails full of used wheel weights.

Derek

8. farmboss088

farmboss088 Junior Member

I have used a skid steer bucket and chained it down to the bed. actually worked pretty good. Now i have an EZ dump in the truck so that works as my ballast. Just make sure whatever you use you secure it well, the last thing you want is to hit something and have material flying at the cab.

9. M&A Property Maintenance

M&A Property Maintenance Senior Member

When I went to the home depot, they didn't have the tube sand, but had regular quirkrete all purpose sand in 50 lb bags. I got 8 of those and about 150 lbs lime that i had left over from the summer. Made a box with 2x8's and it works out well over the wheel wells. plus, like others said, if you get stuck, you can just use some of the sand from your ballast.

10. starc

starc Senior Member

I load my bulk salt on the back of the truck. I do my plowing and later shovel the salt into the tailgate spreader and get rid of my ballast so I have an empty truck until the next time its needed.

11. Hammer24

Hammer24 Junior Member

Thanks for all the suggestions...I'll definately be sure to secure whatever I use to the truck. Please keep posting your suggestions, this is kinda cool seeing what others use...some good ones so far (skid steer bucket, wheel weights, etc...)

12. rayf268

rayf268 Senior Member

I have some cinder block left over from a home project threw them in the back next to the tailgate ran a ratchet strap threw them and a board behind them to keep it put . There 33lbs a piece with salt and a few bags of sand I'll have 600lbs plenty to keep the rubber to the road .

13. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC Senior Member

I use to use a tractor tire inner tube and fill it with water.
    it forms to the bed and doesnt move.
    The way I use to fill it was remove the shrader valve, fill with it using a water balloon adapter on a hose. then replace the shrader valve.

14. BobC

BobC Senior Member

Don't need ballast in truck v salter gives me my weight. I used Home Depot or Lowes tube sand bags to hold down my tarp on the salt pile but now use old tires because the bags disintegrated!!! So you may end up with a sandpile in the truck.

15. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

sand tubes i bought from a local hardware and lumber yard. i really like them because they don't move around really and they can easily be taken out after the storm.

16. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I got the sand tubes from home cheapo last year, they freeze and get difficult to handle.

17. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

doesn't anyone have the picture of the two obese women in bikinis sitting on a truck tailgate? I'd post it if I had it.

18. hotvet67

hotvet67 Junior Member

weight on the back

There in the back , making something to eat on mine.

[​IMG]

19. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

20. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member