1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ballast Ideas

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by getmydrift, Nov 28, 2012.

1. getmydrift

getmydrift Member

I have a 96 F 350, I have a 9 foot MVP on the front, tried sand bags behind the rear axel but they slid to the front when plowing. I know fisher has a retainer kit that you can build out of 2x4s, any other ideas as to Ballast? the V plow weighs about 1000 lbs and when plowing w/o weight in the back makes the truck slid a lot.. anyone now of other retaining ideas.thanks Bob

2. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

I have slots in my bed just forward of the tailgate. I made a woos gate to go in between it. I stack sandbags between it and the tailgate. It works out good

3. G.Landscape

G.Landscape Senior Member
    from Ontario

This is perfect and functional ballast....
    [​IMG]

4. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

fat chicks

5. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

i use a 450# bumper that slides into my receiver hitch

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Vbox.......

7. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

3 2x6's lengthwise from the cab till just past the rear wheel wells. Then one 2x6 across the width of the bed. Then fill with sand or place sand bags there, it won't move. Of course you'll have to nail or screw the pieces of wood together.

8. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

We built a box that fits in between the wheel wells and goes back to the tailgate, it curves around the wheel wells so that it stays or is locked in place. We just used a 2x4 for the side so it's 3.5" tall, we fill it with extra stone we have here (800#) put a cover on it and we're done. We added some scrap pieces on the bottom so that we can get it in and out with a forklift but total height is only 6" and leaves plenty of bed space. Maybe 40 bucks in materials and if you use treated plywood as the bottom and top, it should last a few years at least.

9. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

We use roofing shingles. They weigh abuot 85 pounds a bundle. Just lay they flat on the bed, 9 bundles on most pickups

10. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

a 2x4 behind the wheel well, another against the posts at the tailgat to protect it, then either a piece of 2" solid steel or a bunch of suitcase weights....cover it with 1/2 " plywood....now you have weight and can still use the bed for hauling

11. espyj

espyj Member

I remember reading about a guy who used plate steel, 1/2" or thicker, don't remember, cut into 4x6 or 4x8 ft sheets, depending on bed length. Didn't take more than a couple of those to weigh it down, and still had reasonable use of the bed.

12. MConst

MConst Junior Member

First few years we would put excess concrete block on a skid, shrink wrap the skid, and strap to the back tie points.

Then when we moved to using a tailgate salter, we would load a skid with bagged rock salt for the salter and calcium for the walk behind spreaders.

Now, we keep a SnowEx 8500 v-box salter in there. Fits perfect, even with a weather guard tool box. My 350s hold a full 2yards of bulk salt struck ... its overweight, but they only stay local and I did install Timbrens (made a huge difference, best money ever spent).

13. RSE

RSE Member

This is where the Speedcaster2 comes in ......it sort of cantilevers the rear axle, giving added traction. A half yard of sand in the bed and you are good to go! Watched a guy plow with an old piano in back once....seemed to work.