1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ballast ideas for p/u truck

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by BIGRED1, Nov 24, 2005.

1. BIGRED1

BIGRED1 Member

I have an 06 2500hd w/8ft x blade, Fisher reccomends 500# ballast. Anyone have any ideas on:
    good,
    ez in and out,
    clean,
    non bed damaging,
    cheap, ballast

thanks alot
    p.s. I do have some access to some heavy equipment ie, loader, grapple etc..

2. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

Its only 500lbs so its not that big of a deal. I was also concerned about ez-in and out. and not bed damaging.

So what I did was bought 12 bags of 50lb salt, Or you can use Sand. I was scared about the salt making the bed rust pre-maturely, so I bought 2 tarps, put them together over the wheel wells, put the bags ontop the tarps, then folded the tarps over to prevent any moisture or leakage coming out of the bags.

I will leave mine in all winter, its only 600, it wont hurt the truck at all, it wont even know its back there.

Since you want to take yours out, you can most likely get one other person and just pull the whole tarp with the salt/sand bags on it.

Or.... I was thinking of getting some big buckets that will hold 50lbs each and get 10 of those and put sand in those and then throw those above the axle.

Hope this helps.

BTW: IMO 500 may not be enough, I have 600 in mine and I think in going to add another 250 or 300, maybe even 400 more.

3. 05DURAMAX

05DURAMAX Junior Member

Hey I too have a 2500HD with an X-Blade. I bought the ballast retainer kit from Fisher. They give you simple instructions on how to build a frame out of 2x4s. They supply you with a heavy duty steel frame that along with the 2x4s keeps all the weight behind the rear wheels and up against the tailgate. The dealer I bought the plow from had 66lb sand bags so thats what im using.
    Go on Fishers Web site and look under install instructions I think....There is a picture of the kit. Well worth the money, For the wood and the Fisher part it is less than $150.

4. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

I'm sorry but are these things work trucks? If so thats what the beds are made for. Damage the beds now i've heard everything. Damn things are made to be scratched and dented. If your that worried have it line-X or rihno lined.

5. PremierLand

from detroit

Once my truck is paid off, I wont mind as much, lol.

6. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

My truck isn't paid off either. But I sure aint going to worry about scratching or denting the bed. Like I said thats what there made for. If I was leasing then I might be a little worried. Then again I went that route and still didn't worry. Always figuired a work truck is ment to be used can't be worrying that I might scratch the bed.

7. PremierLand

from detroit

True I dont really care about straching or denting the inside of the bed, but I dont want to make it rust out quicker.

Your right, its a work truck, and *****'s gonna happen. Heck, first day I got my truck one of my guys strached the side of the bed up, and the third day I had it, my guy went to fill it up, and slammed the door on the guard rail at the station.

Your right though, the more time you spend worry about the truck getting messed up, the bigger dissappointment you will have when it does get strached.

8. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

I use cinder blocks, around 35 pounds each, you can line the bed with them so all you will lose is the height of the blocks, around 8" or so.

I leave them in all winter, easy to still use the bed because you can just put cargo on top of the blocks. I had somewhere between 30-35 of them in there last year, they dont slide around either.

Even though they say to use 500, the extra helps out especially when going site to site when you may not want to use 4 wheel drive because the roads arent all that bad

9. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

Mark I also hate the idea of scratching or denting my truck. But one thing I have noticed with new trucks is they don't rust like they used to. I have scratches in bed of truck that have been there for a year and it still looks fine no real rust. i think your guy that dinged your truck had the right idea get that first dent out of the way then it isn't such a concern. I know when I first get a new truck that first dent scratch or what have you is always the hardest. After that I start using like it is ment to be.

10. PremierLand

from detroit

Ya, I have a 93 that is rusted all over wheel wells and all that. It has holes in the bed from rust its so bad. I dont want my 01 to be like that in 5 years. LOL. But I guess your right about not rusting like they used to.

Anyway, Let it snow!!!!!!

11. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

Yea Mark they treat them differantly now. I had a 99 Ford ranger that I backed into a guard rail hard and fast one night about 6 months after getting it. Had it for 3 years and never did anything to fix and it was still shinny metal.

12. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

it is galvanized. will rust eventually, but you really have to wear off all the galvy before the metal will start to rust. By then the truck will be worn out anyway. Smartest thing they ever did. I think they started galvanizing body panels in a big way around 93 or 94.

13. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

I use two car tires filled with concrete, weight will depend on the size of the tire. Mine are about 350# each, I also put a short pipe about 8" long x 1 1/4" dia in them flush with the top of concrete so they can be used as volley ball net stands in the summer, etc. I also put a short length of chain in the concrete leaving a few links out so they can be lifted with a hoist if needed. They can be rolled in or out of the bed rather easily and the rubber tire prevents sliding and denting the bed real bad.

14. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

I used sand tubes for years. They would freeze and become like cement. I put a 2x4 behind the rear wheels in the bed to keep them from sliding but, at some point they became missles. This year Itrying water softner salt bags wrapped in an extra garbage bag. They seem not to freeze up and in the spring I will use them in my softner - no storage issues, no disposale issues of the broken sand tubes.

15. paynter2

paynter2 Member

Are there Menards's stores in your area? Menard's carries 70# tubes of sand. I just bought 4 for the back of my CJ5. They are in really heavy plastic bags (tubes) - the same material used for sand bagging floods.

If no Menards, maybe Home Depot or Lowe's will carry them.

16. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

There was a recent post on ballast that went way out and had a picture of a porche very entertaining. I made a frame out of 2x6 and use about 10 -5 gal pails filled with sand-- these are covered and wiegh about 60-70 lbs a piece. works pretty slick and have run this setup for at least ten years-- This way you can tweek where you want the wieght--I have a 4' x4' spread out over the rear axle. Works slick and I use radials that are mud and snow so they aren't the most aggressive thread out there and have never been stuck. Have fun! We went out on Turkey day up here!:bluebounc

17. djlouieboom

djlouieboom Junior Member

I Bought The Ballast Kit From Western And Modified Secured It Through The Bed ,.. I Got 6 5 Gal Pails Filled Wit Concrete Works Perfect Easy In Easy Out With 2x4's Reinforcing It

18. yooper.mi

yooper.mi Senior Member

I use the front suitcase weights 72# from a farm tractor, a 2x4 across the back of the wheel well. The weights are about 3" high laid across the bed,they take up little space, leaving the use of box for other things.
    Happy Holidays

19. CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter Senior Member

Uh, I use thing new stuff they have here, it's called ... sand.

I load it loose in the bed of the truck, can add and remove as needed.

I have a bedliner, so in the spring, I take it out, use rust reformer on any spots, and use black enamel paint (I have a black truck) with a paintbush to cover the rust reformer. Never had any problems.

I have a tarp-eze cover over the whole works, keeps out the majority of the weather, and never have to worry about it freezing, either.

I'm afraid of carrying missles in the back of my truck. Concrete, sand bags, steel, whatever. After you roll a truck (as I have) or have a head-on, you'd rething your choices. Do you want a cement block going through the rear window at 60MPH? Eeek, no thank you.

20. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

In case you guys havent heard there is a thing out there these days called a bed liner. It keeps you from scratching the paint all up. Gee I thought these things are supposed to be used. Good grief you guys are truck owners now act like one already.....Rob