1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ballast idea

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by HD61CUIN, Oct 7, 2002.

1. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

I was just at the Western website and they recommend 600lb for ballast with my 8.5 Pro Blade. What does everyone do for ballast in the winter? My wife and I were looking for ideas of free things to toss in. We went to a local rock area where they grind up road concrete, the operator there would drop half a bucket of rocky gravel in for 5 bucks(baseball size). Then the wife asked what we were going to do about that in the spring? Then walking in Home Depot we were in the stone/brick area then the light turned on. I talked with the fella in the stone area he said there was a 4 day order time for bricks. They came on a wood pallatt. I figured the weight of one of those .29cent bricks at near 5lb each. That means I spend about 30-40$ and get a load of bricks wrapped and strapped to a pallate in the back of my truck with a forklift. In the spring I bring my reciept back along with the bricks...and wait till next winter!
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

In my 1500, I use four or five small-diameter tree trucks from my lot. For the 3500, I use three six-foot steel I beams when not using the two yard sander.
  3. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

HD.....My bedliner has slots over the rear wheels.
    I made a square with 4x10s to fit between the
    wheels and use 20 lb. tube sand....about 300 lbs.
    Fits good and don"t slide around easy to remove
    or use if necessary ! Then pull it out and put in
    the barn next to plow for next year !...geo
  4. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

Wow, tell me your not that CHEAP as you are going to make money plowing.

Do you have a salter ? Just put some bagged salt in the bed. If not put some bagged sand in you can always use it if you get stuck :eek: .
  5. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

If you have a spreader it will provide enough weight even when empty. I would still run with a little material incase you need traction for yourself.

If you do not have a spreader I would consider some kind of material (bagged or bulk) in the bed. This will provide weight and traction if needed.

Along with that all my trucks run with a snow shovel, a dirt shovel, and a tow strap along with the usual emergencuy supplies.
  6. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

For our trucks that aren't four wheel drive and don't have sanders we dump a bucket of snow in the bed.
    Can't get any cheaper than that and it melts out on its own!
  7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I just noticed the tree "trucks" in my post. Supposed to have been tree trunks. Works well - easy on, easy off, then mill them into boards or use them for firewood the following winter. Now wrestling around those I beams are a different story :realmad: . I use a chain hoist for them and sit them on stands the same height as the flatbed. I always have some sand in the sander, too, just in case - even with 4WD.
  8. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Mike, I used to do the same thing! After the storm, drop the tailgate, reverse at full speed and mash the brakes! Slides right out.

I got a slab of concrete from Unilock (a damaged unit) for free, and strap it on the flatbed now.

WHITE=GREEN Senior Member

you could go to your local quarry and get 1/4 inch stone and bag it. easy to unload if needed and also if you get stuck open a bag and use it for traction. bags of salt also work well too if your going to be doing any salting.
  10. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Well i would use a load of sand or a concrete block strapped in.Sand works well because if you get stuck you have traction control with you.:)
  11. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I don't know about how a customer would feel about 1/4 inch stone being used for traction, even for yourself. Sand or salt is easy to use, effective and easy to clean up.
  12. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

For ballast try a back blade. 500# to start on most snowman blades. This with the fact that Western calls for the weight over the axle and the back blade is that much father back add's to the fulcurm effect of the weight.

P.s. WHITE=GREEN good to see you got that 810 installed on your truck. Hope you get lots of snow to use it this year. JERRE
  13. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

I very rarely run with a load of anything in my bed for ballast.

If I do need additional weight, I just have someone with a backhoe drop a bucket load of snow into the bed.

Pretty much handles the need for weight, and melts out on those warm days.