1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ballast Idea

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by William B., Jan 16, 2005.

1. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

Saw this advertised during Trucks today. Do not know how well it would work if you had to carry a snow blower or something else in the bed.

2. Plow King

Plow King Senior Member

Are you going to mix the water with antifreeze...or?

It would freeze if you didnt.
  3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

put a case of jell-o in it and give the kids some straws!!!
    the things some people will think of!!
  4. ChipsEarthWorks

ChipsEarthWorks Senior Member
    from CT

It says it only adds 340 pounds of weight to the back of truck. Personaly with a hd 2500 ram your better of putting no weight in at all and deal with having no traction. Good idea for the smaller trucks of the averege person who dosent plow of sand but I do not think it will work on the hd trucks like we use
  5. I personally think a couple packs of roofing shingles works better than any. They can be laid flat from the cab to the tail gate and still provide a solid floor to carry a load.
  6. trying to make

trying to make Member

I thouhgt I was the only one carrying shingles.I would carry something else if I were not using my Blazer though.Wet shingle wrappers pi#% me off.

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

I've been using cement blocks!
  8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Water weighs 8.5 pounds a gallon.
  9. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Reading the FAQ''s on it, I see you can double the weight by going up to 6" of water in it instead of 3". That should be plenty.
  10. catskill

catskill Junior Member

am currently running nine 70pound bags of tube sand...works for me and they are only about four bucks each.carefull with those cement blocks simplowguy i was coming though an intersection in route to a customer last week,cab lights are on and a 8ft fisher plow on the front.this ***hole in a white minivan
    pulls right out in front of me,i had my 4year old son with me (buckled up).i got on the binders and avoided hitting the dork,but man did that torque me up.the thing that makes me wonder what was going through his little brain,i had the green light,2002 f250 superduty is not exacty a compact car he had to have seen me and still pulled out.
    sorry,had to vent a lil' :gunsfiring:
  11. Cfdff85

Cfdff85 Member

I posted a forum a few days ago asking if anyone saw that show, or knew about the bladder. LOL I heard Stacy say you can still put about 500lbs on top so your bed is still usable I'm liking on trying it out.
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2005
  12. Ole JIM

Ole JIM Senior Member

Weight in BED--Cement Blocks

I have used cement blocks for yrs--I make a thin steel 1/16 wedge on rear of my wheel well so I have a 90* vertical angel--& install an 8 inch plank from side to side fill that area w/ my blocks--smooth side UP!--each block weighs aprox 45 lbs--works Great--& their easy to remove if Needed? & their NO problem loading & un-loading my Snow Blower--& If?? I do hit some-thing? I don*t have to Worry! about them Sliding around! & even If? the Do Freeze In? An Easy Tap w/ stick of stove wood will Break E*m Free!--I have built an TT unit for a second Tier of Blocks-but--to Date have never used it!--truck rides Good & Plows Great!--Best I have Found! & I have Tried just about Every-thing?--Ole JIM--
  13. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I saw that bladder thing in a catalog too last week. Don;t like it. It claims freezing will not harm it, but it's not enough weight. 300 lbs may be fine for a half ton like a 'Yota, but not a full size truck. I have a wood frame that fits between the wheel wells and is chained to the back tie down cleats to hold my 10 60Lbs tube sand bags from sliding forward PLUS 2 totes with salt and sand salt at the gate for spreading adding another 200 lbs or more. Some times I have over a half ton of sand/salt in the back- and in a pinch I have extra sand in the tubes.
  14. AintNoFun

AintNoFun Senior Member

if we get a heavy enough snow and need weight in the pickups we just use snow and load it up with the skidsteer....