1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ballast Holder Bins

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by canoebuildah, Jan 16, 2012.

1. canoebuildah

canoebuildah Senior Member

I found a pair of heavy duty plastic bins at Lowes earlier this winter. They fit perfectly behind the wheel wells on my 2005 Chevy 2500. I use two 2x6 PT boards to keep them in place.

I filled them with wet DOT sand/salt mix from my town and it is mostly sand. I figure the weight to be about 400 lbs each. Blizzard calls for 960 lbs for my 810 and I also have a large tool box with my chainsaw and gear, and a couple of ammo boxes with my tire chains over the rear axle so I should be fine.

The big drawback is they are very difficult to move when I don't want them. I am searching for sandbags now to see if I can make my own bags that will fit inside the box.

2. canoebuildah

Found sand bags on Amazon and I have a Prime account, so free 2 day shipping. I don't plan on filling the bags completely. Just enough to be able to shape them to fit in the rectangular boxes so I can can easily remove them.

20 Sandbags with ties $15.67

3. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Nice, thanks for sharing. Post a pic of them in the truck!

4. MGV

MGV Junior Member

I use sandbags in the back of my truck also. I stacked them on a pallet and strapped them down so they can't move. This way if I need the back of the truck I can use my backhoe with forks to remove the whole pallet.

5. dooleycorp

dooleycorp Senior Member

concrete blocks work well

6. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

7. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

Heres what I did, I can add more weight if needed, but both buckets in the back are filled with concrete, and then there will be some concrete blocks in front of them, the middle area is for the snowblowers. Ignore the front bucket of shotputs and the blue bag for them LOL.

TRUCK BACK.jpg

8. dooleycorp

dooleycorp Senior Member

it should give you some weight over your rear wheels and better traction

9. 3bladz

3bladz Senior Member

I've seen what unsecured ballast does to the back of a persons head when it comes through the back of the cab. Please make sure it is tied down extremely well. Concrete blocks and frozen bags of sand are missiles in even a mild crash. My kids frequently are in the back seat of my truck (though not when plowing).

10. canoebuildah

Sorry for the delay, here are a few pics of my setup. The sandbag idea is working well albeit at a lower total weight. But makes it worthwhile to be able to remove when not plowing. And that is happening a lot this year!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012