1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ballast for a MD 75 Plow vs Fisher HT

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by Spikeo, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Spikeo

Spikeo Junior Member

On SnowDoggs website I ran the Plow Selector. My Truck 2001 F150 5.4 motor Supercab
    6 1/2 ft bed GVW 6500lbs. It came up with the MD75 Plow. It also stated I should use 680lbs of Ballast.
    Now I went to Fishers website ran there plow selector program. It came up with the 7'6" HT series plow. They recommended 300 lbs of ballast. Plows weigh about the same. Why the big difference in ballast wieght 300 vs almost 700 lbs ?

2. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

There could be many reasons. The ballast is very sensitive to curb weight of the truck, distance of the plow CG from the axle.

They could be using curb weights from a different source, etc.

I'll look at it though. As the HT is about the same weight, I'm surprised to see such a difference...

3. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

good question

I ran my truck and the dogg suggest 100# more than the fisher HT. If you're looking to purchase I would go with the HT. It's taller and I prefer the direct lift. That is of course, just my opinion!