1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ballast for a '16 Chevy 2500 Duramax Diesel

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Ucla81, Dec 31, 2016.

1. ktfbgb

ktfbgb PlowSite.com Addict

Ballast

• a device that maintains the currentt hrough a fluorescent or mercury lamp atthe desired constant value, sometimes also providing the necessary starting voltage and current.

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

3. darryl g

darryl g Senior Member
    from CT

Funny but wrong definition. Lots of things use ballast to increase stability. That anyone would try to argue otherwise makes me think they're just trying to be contrary or they're just ignorant, or both. :)

4. ktfbgb

Go ahead call me Richard.

5. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Only a Richard would think a counter weight doesn't add to stability

6. ktfbgb

No argument about it adding stability. I was just trying to get a rise out of Darryl, and carried the Richard comment over from a different thread lol.

SnoFarmer likes this.
  7. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

I just use this guy 18na8gfo70zc9jpg.jpg

ktfbgb likes this.
  8. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Hummm between the axels , he would be ballast

I'm aware....:nod:

ps the Richard thang was coined in the mn weather thread.

:drinkup:

Carry on.:plowblue:

ktfbgb likes this.
  9. ktfbgb

ps the Richard thang was coined in the mn weather thread.

Ok good to know.

IMG_0438.JPG

JMHConstruction and SnoFarmer like this.
  10. Ucla81

Ucla81 Junior Member

Again all, thanks for the replies. I use BlueDef for the Diesel Engine. I don't care whether it's called ballast or counterweight lol. I just want to know how much of it to put in the back. My decision is to put it behind the rear wheels. I know that who say to put it directly over the real wheels will say I'm making a mistake, my research and the majority of sites and responses say to put it behind the rear wheels. As far as weight? I'm going for 400 lbs. If that doesn't work the first plow, then I will go to plan B. I also realize if we get a foot of snow, that means there will be a foot of snow in the back of the pickup. Does that make a difference. One online blog suggest trying to dig out the bed just behind the rear seats, going backward to about the rear wheels. (With the 400 lbs) still back there under the snow. Im not sure if shoveling that out will help or hurt or make no difference. I have no choice but to park the truck outside. I appreciate the replies....!!!!!

11. Jeep_thing

Jeep_thing Senior Member

Counterweight is also ballast.
    Ballast is not counterweight. (Unless behind the rear axle)

darryl g likes this.
  12. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

No such thing as 2 in 1.

13. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

We can't give you an exact weight, as your driving style, your tires, plow, and the conditions all play a
    Factor, .

14. ktfbgb

OP I personally don't shovel the snow out of my bed. This isn't exact science. Put enough counterweight behind the wheels to help offset the weight of your plow on the front end. You can feel it. Drive around on dry roads with the plow on and nothing in the bed. You can feel the extra weight and extra stress on the front end especially turning. Now add your 400 lbs of counter weight. Drive again. Did it unload the front end enough or do you need more? You'll feel it when you unload the front enough.

k1768 likes this.
  15. darryl g

darryl g Senior Member
    from CT

With my Boss V on my 2500 HD ballast is a must. If I even raise my plow without it the front end sinks a good bit and driving without it turns it into a see-saw. I never pay attention to exactly how much ballast I put in, but I usually have at least 500 pounds between the wheel wells and 2 large plastic bins full of sand and salt and my snowblower behind the rear wheels. I consider any snow that falls into the bed a bonus.

16. JMHConstruction

17. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

with my boss V plow, western, hiniker.
    I place 500# of counterweight behind the axle and use a cross-box with tools shovels chain etc etc,, snowblower laced over the axel, the weight of fuel. and the contents of the cab as ballast.

proababely the only thing that could actually be called ballast, is weight located below the center of gravity, like the fuel tank.

ktfbgb likes this.
  18. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Ballast / Counterweight also doesn't care what kind of Chevy or plow it's used with either. It's a pickup truck and a plow. Unless you have six wheels in the front and tracks in the rear, a pickup is a pickup. Throw some weight behind and over the axle and have at it.

ktfbgb likes this.
  19. JMHConstruction

I went ahead and did the ematch for my truck.

Meyer says my plow weighs just under 850#, the closet option it gave me was the Fisher 8' straight that weighs I think around 750#. Site said I needed almost 1200# of ballast for thato_O:eek:

20. darryl g

darryl g Senior Member
    from CT

That can't be right...