1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ballast for a '16 Chevy 2500 Duramax Diesel

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Ucla81, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Ucla81

Ucla81 Junior Member

Hi all,

I will be starting a small biz plowing my neighborhood driveways (not a lot, maybe about 10). The driveways are long (800') and there are some slopes on the driveways (not hugely steep but definite slopes that a regular car can slide down and end up in a field). I have a Meyer 7'6" Lot Pro Plow for the front of my Chevy. It's a 2500 Crew Cab Duramax Diesel, standard bed. The question is, how much ballast should I have in the back for this work? Plowing no more than 1-1.5 ft of snow at a time, but the slopes concern me. Thanks for any replies!

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

500-700lb.
    maybe more as you will be driving in your berm.

do you have a set of tire chains? just in case.

Id recommend a set of wings so you can clear a path wide enough for you tires.

what happens with a 7.6 on a full size truck is, snow spills off of the plow and ends up going back under the wheels, this can be a big hinder when the snow gets deeper.

then if you swing the plow all the way to the side its clearing a narrower path than befor.

good luck.

3. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Do a search on "ballast". Hours upon hours of info there. The subject has been beaten to death.

4. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

I would suggest plowing more with the storm. A foot of wet snow can be a real B!tch to move, even worse pushing it up a hill.

5. Ucla81

Ucla81 Junior Member

No, I don't have a set of chains, have considered it. I don't want to tear up driveways if I can avoid it. I have searched this site (and the web in general) for info on ballast. The problem is, there are so many disagreements about it, and nothing that specifically addresses the type of Chevy I have and the Meyer plow system. Meyer won't give me a specific answer either (probably for liability purposes). Thanks for the feedback, hoping for more.....

6. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Becuse an exact weight # can be a personal thing

Counterweight, counter balances the weight of the plow and is placed next to the talegate.
    Ballast is placed over the rear wheels for traction.

tires play a big roll, also

Are you useing any weight now?
    And I 2nd plowing befor you have a foot of snow on the ground.

7. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I'm just a personal plower, but I carry 800lb of sand tubes as ballast for an 8.6' MVP. Also have about 200 lbs of junk in the back too. The weight really helps alot on the slick and icy surfaces.

You can buy emergency strap in tire chains. I've usef them to get unstuck from a pile. Gives me peace of mind carrying them around.

8. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

What are you doing in the pile?

9. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Trying to get out.....

10. Cosmic Charlie

Cosmic Charlie Senior Member

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
    GrassManKzoo and SnoFarmer like this.
  11. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

But they use the word ballast incorrectly,
    It is a good explanation for a counter weight.

Philbilly2 likes this.
  12. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

Here we go again

13. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

There you go, again.

14. Avalanche 2500

Avalanche 2500 Senior Member

If you were to use your Ex Wife as a rear ballast count ? even if she has a GVW of 310 ??

15. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

While we're on the subject of diesel, what type of diesel additive do you use?

16. darryl g

darryl g Senior Member
    from CT

It is indeed ballast. Ballast is something used to increase a vehicle's stability. Hanging a plow on the front of a truck without anything to offset it makes it unbalanced and unstable...subject to large/sudden movements. Added weight behind the rear wheels acts to offset that imbalance and is thus indeed ballast. :)

17. ktfbgb

ktfbgb PlowSite.com Addict

Is not.

18. ktfbgb

ktfbgb PlowSite.com Addict

Something used to offset the weight of something else is indeed a counter weight. Just sayin.

A crane does not use ballast to keep from tipping over its fulcrum point, it uses counter weight.

19. darryl g

darryl g Senior Member
    from CT

In this case the ballast is a counter weight, but it's still ballast. Similar to ballast on the back of my TLB to offset the weight of the front loader. The purpose of ballast is to increase stability so I don't tip over with a load. It may have other benefits as well such as increased traction, but adding weight solely to increase traction is not really ballast even if it is commonly used in that context.

Happy New Year to everyone.

20. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

What you discribe is a counter weight.
    From
    Weight placed over the rear axel or between the axels, is not a counter weight,

ktfbgb likes this.