1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ballast for 2500hd

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by jonny72888, May 15, 2015.

1. jonny72888

jonny72888 Member

Hey guys, I have a 13 silverado 2500hd crew short bed. This is my first year plowing With my own truck. I got a 8.5 xv2 and the dealer said 450# in the bed. That seems to light. The only plowing I've done is with a sander in the back so I'm used to having a few thousand pounds. I'm using 100# weights and was thinking about 6 behind the wheels. Anyone else have this set up and have some advice? 450 might be all it needs. It doesn't drop the front much.

2. JoeG3

JoeG3 Senior Member

I also have a xv2 on my '15 2500 crew short bed, and dealer did say I only needed 450#. I used about 500 this year and had no issues but I think I will be using more next year. I have 2 100# rubber mats from tractor supply that I put under the RV when its in the drive and was thinking of putting them in the bed next year.

3. jimbo64

jimbo64 Senior Member

If you go to Fishers website you can match the plow to your truck and it will tell you how much ballast you need at the tailgate. I have an 8'6 xv2 on an F250 long box and it calls for approx. 400 lbs. at the tailgate.

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Do boats have tailgates?

5. jonny72888

jonny72888 Member

Sounds good. Calls for 450.i got 6 100lb blocks I'll just throw in the back. See how that goes. Add more if needed.

6. NYH1

NYH1 Senior Member

Put it behind the axle up against the tailgate.

NYH1.

7. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

Try what your dealer/website recommends and see how your truck and plow handles in the snow while plowing. You can always put more in. The more you put in it might plow better but it might feel so sluggish moving around you might hate it

8. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

I use about a half a pallet (1,000 lbs) of side walk salt (calcium) I need the weight and I need the need the salt. Win win and the truck rides better.