1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ballast/CW in hitch??????

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by jc8, Feb 20, 2014.

1. jc8

jc8 Junior Member
    from ON

I've been doing the bags in the back of the box thing (7 bags x 88#ea) in a steel cradle #100) so total is 716#.

It does work quite well but is a ROYAL PAIN to get out if I need the box.

Truck is a '08 2500 quad Ram with an 8' Meyers w/ wings so I'm over 1000# with the plow.

I'd like to put a 4x4 steel filled with lead in the 2" hitch (I figure it would be about 500# ( I could add some more to make it higher if needed)

This would be ideal as I can use the box anytime and I can remove the weight with my forklift.

Will the hitch support the weight? (might leave on unless front feels light with plow off)
    Take it off when season is over.

2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Any hitch mounted on a 3/4 ton truck should handle 500 lbs tongue weight..... If not, better get a new hitch!
  3. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Why don't you make a box for inside your bed?

I don't think it's a good idea to put it in the hitch. You'll either forget it's there and back in to something or someone could rearend you
  4. jc8

jc8 Junior Member
    from ON

Actually hoping that it would save the crappy factory bumper from getting bent up.

Structurally (?) not sure if hitch is up to task.

I could weld up a box but it's the securing down problem.... I don't want to drill through the boxliner and bed to get to the frame. (most secure)

Could weld box with handles to attach straps similar to what I'm doing now...jus a lot of work where as tube in hitch is out of way all the time.
  5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

If you go with the hitch,
    just keep an eye on it, where the round tube is welded to the side mount, the weld on the top is weak. some have cracked on guys when towing heavy.
    I think most of it is from the lack of trailer breaks and the force from the trailer is rotating to tube cracking the weld.
    but, I'm not sure.

Getting a higher rated receiver-hitch may-not be a bad idea.

For me the added length out back would be a hinder.
  6. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

If you've got a forklift, why not just put the weight on a skid or something like that and you could just remove it when needed just as easily? Doesn't your bed have tie-down cleats in it at front and back?
  7. jc8

jc8 Junior Member
    from ON

It does have cleats but I've found the front ones are useless when keeping the weight at tailgate.

I'll check to see what the hitch is made of as far as tubing goes...don't want that thing falling off on the road...I'd never be able to move it!
  8. NThill93

NThill93 Member

Do you own a skid steer or any other machines? if so just put it on a pallet and take it on and off. If not I have no options your truck is already long want to make it that much longer?
  9. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Ditto X 2 ....

Work smarter, not harder.

10. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Just strap it against the tailgate

We just toss a pallet of mag in my dodge.

There's a whole argument about ballast and counter weight on where the weight is located
  11. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

If you don't have a clue what your hitch can handle then maybe you should own a truck, let alone plow with one lol.