1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ballast box

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mike9497, Nov 20, 2002.

1. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

anyone have one for there trucks im trying to think of some ideas.please post pics if you have them that would be great.
    i was thinking of using some rubbermaid totes and sealing them so there water tight and adding a drain on the side and a place on the top to screw a hose onto.i figured it would be easier to unload the water than sand or cement.i would also make some kind of frame around them and bolt that down to the floor and use chains to help hold down the totes.
  2. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

The water will freeze and break the tote.

Try sand instead then you can scoop it out if you needed to for traction or easy removal from the truck.
  3. Sno

Sno Senior Member

I use two Rubbermaid totes full of two kinds of salt, then use them for quick hand salting as needed.

I dont tie them down so they slide around a bit but it has'nt caused any problems yet.

This year I will probably remove the tailgate to get rid of a blind spot, so I will be strapping them in. I'm thinking I'll bolt the strap to the totes.

One behind each wheel well.
  4. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

one tote with sand the other with salt. thats a better way to go than water.
  5. Ben

Ben Member

I use the large rubbermaid totes the lids are fairly water tight. They cost less than $10.00 at lowes.
  6. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

Bagged tube sand fron Home Depot. Less than $3 per tube, around 60 lbs each. We use 900 lbs in our F-250 Diesels with the 8.5 ft Fisher Plows up front. A 2X8 across the bed keeps them in place.
  7. J.Henderson

J.Henderson Senior Member

A pallet of icemelt in the back does me just fine. When I get low from using it on my accounts, I just go down and load up some more.
  8. EIB

EIB Senior Member

I use ten bags of tube sand at 75lbs a piece in the back of my F350 SD. Along with my salt bags, tow chains, shovels, etc. I estimate around 950lbs total. I can drive around in two wheel drive and the plow on with no problems.