1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ball joints

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by beam, Mar 1, 2009.

1. beam

beam Senior Member
    from pa

Have a 2006 qc diesel has 32000 miles on it with a blizzard plow told to get inspected needed 4 ball joints and new hub assembilies The dealer wouldnot cover under warranty any other suggestions????????????

2. Dubliner

Dubliner Senior Member

I would get a second opinion IMHO dealers are hurting for cash amd may be a little stricter than necessary on inspections.

3. tim096

tim096 Senior Member
    from wny

Why would they not cover it, I would talk to the factory rep. or try another dealer

4. 24v6spd

24v6spd Senior Member

Call the Chrysler customer service center. If you are the original owner should be covered for at least 3 years/36,000 miles. Have you surpassed the 3 years? If it's a diesel it should be 7 years/70,000 miles.

5. 24v6spd

24v6spd Senior Member

Chrysler Customer Service 1-800-992-1997, have your V.I.N # handy.

6. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

If you got a long bed truck they probably wouldnt cover it, not with a diesel. If you got a short bed with the plow prep they should cover it

7. 24v6spd

24v6spd Senior Member

Does the truck have the snowplow prep package?

8. beam

beam Senior Member
    from pa

NO that is why not having any luck

9. beam

beam Senior Member
    from pa

Tried two different dealers and no warranty no plow prep on truck and it is too late already apart at private shop because parts are on national back order from the dealer soooo getting them from napa in SC only one to have all of it the uppers went bad alot of movement and when taking apart the bearring assemblies fell apart that is why uppers and lower (it is already apart) and needed bearings:realmad:

10. tim096

tim096 Senior Member
    from wny

Moog make ball joint that are better than the factory ones, spend the extra and get the good ones.

11. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Ok here is the deal. 2006 trucks came with the 3/36k powertrain warranty. So your truck must be just over the 3 year mark. As for the Hub assembly. They are lying to you. How can they tell you it needs hub assembly when they havent taken them apart yet. They must be telling you also need u joints in front end. This can be very pricey at the dealer. Somewhere around 2500 to fix. So you best bet is to screw the system and get something out of it. Go to Chrysler warranties and Buy an extended care one. Might cost you about a grand. But they got sales on. Then your truck will covered and they have to give you a rental while they have you car.

Talk to the dealer about this. maybe they wil work with you

12. schatzy73

schatzy73 Junior Member

it's a 3/36k powertrain warrenty most likely....... ball joints are not part of the powertrain..... they are considered "wear items"

13. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah but isnt the 3/36 bumper to bumper. And if you get that premum extended warrranty service that covers them

14. schatzy73

schatzy73 Junior Member

if it's a just powertrain it wouldn't cover it but if it's bumper to bumper they still might not.

if the truck didn't come with the plow prep package they could claim that having and using a plow on it would be in violation of the terms of the warranty..... essentially saying that the plow made the ball joints go bad, when in reality dodge has always had issues with balljoints....

they've done it before.... there was a guy that had a 1 ton dually that hauled 1 1/2 tons in it and when he broke a shackle and took it in to get fixed under the warranty he told them what happened. they refused to cover the costs because he overloaded the truck which nullified his warranty contract.

15. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Ask them the difference between the ball joints. If it were an alternator or something along those lines I could see it but the ball joints are the same on a plow prep truck vs a non equiped truck.

To me its kind of like saying they wont cover a trans because the truck didnt come with a trailer hitch but it was used for towing :dizzy:.

16. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

There must be more to that story because it would be hear say at that point. All he would have to say is "I never said that" and boom, issue gone.

17. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

I have the 7/70 and my ball joints were not covered either. You can get 4 new GREASEABLE balljoints from NAPA for about $300. Shop around for the labor.

18. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

http://dodgeram.info/2003/load-tow/3500.html

Worst case payload is 4042lbs best cast it's 5072lbs. 1.5ton is 3000lbs SOOO people need to tell all of a story and don't make up sh!t. Everyone is a know it all.

19. 24v6spd

24v6spd Senior Member

I got my ball joints at Autozone because they have a lifetime warranty. But only the uppers are greasable. Are NAPA's covered by a lifetime warranty?

20. schatzy73

schatzy73 Junior Member

load placement also has alot to do with it to.... if it's conconetrated in one area of the bed instead of spread out it would stress that part of the suspension more than the rest.... he was hauling a bulk pack of powdered metal mix (~3000#) and it was to the rear of the axle... when they worked on it they sent the part to one of their engineering places and determined that it was pushed beyond it max strength.... plus it didn't help that they admitted to how much weight was in it...

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009