1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ball joints

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by chcav1218, Sep 27, 2008.

1. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

How do can I tell if my truck needs new balljoints? I just installed new shocks and the ride is great, but while I was workin I was looking at the ball joints, and I have noe idea how to tell if they're still good.

2. Moonlighter

Moonlighter Senior Member

Take a jack, unload the ball joints, jack up the vehicle and set a stand, only need to get the tire slightly off the ground, then try moving the wheel from top to bottom if no movement ball joints are good if movement change um. Oh yeah you might as well check the tie rod ends too, side to side movement, more than say 1/4-1/2 inch might mean tie rod ends are out but look at the whole front end while you check, steering boxes will move while doing this test. Also will show you if any front end parts are loose- Idler arm, Link bar etc. while its up might as well put grease in all the fittings you can find.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    Moonlight Snow Removal
    "We play in the snow while you sleep!"

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A little more detail...

Place the floor jack under the lower control arm as close to the end as possible with the ball joint, lifting the tire off the ground about 3 inches. The jack must be under the control arm and not anything else. You are unloading (as Moon mentioned) the weight from the ball joint. If you lift any where else your test wont be valid.

Now to actually check the LOWER joint, use a pry bar or 2x4 and slide it under the tire that is lifted. Pry the tire up and down with the bar or 2X4. Use enough force to see if there is any play by lifting and releasing the tire. See if you feel any play...but also have someone else watch to see if there is any play in the balljoint.

To check the upper joint..while you still have it in the air go to the top of the tire and try moving it in and out. Push and pull it to see if you feel any play. If it is bad it will have a very small bump or pop feel to it. This is also the way you want to check for a loose wheel bearing and is the reason you need a helper to watch to see where (if any) the play is coming from.

4. Moonlighter

Moonlighter Senior Member

Yeah my bad, i'm used to doing it on a lift, and bringing it down on a stand to support the control arm. Thanks B&B.

5. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

Ok, so If i do the test and I find that the ball joints are bad, do I have to replace both upper and lower, or just the ones that are bad? Also, is this something I can do myself or is there some special equipment I would need? I know I've heard something about needed a hydraulic press to push the new joints in place. I may be wrong though.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If one is bad then you want to replace them both on that side since for the work it takes to change one your much better off to change them both while it's apart.

If your mechanically inclined I suppose you could do it but you do need some special tools to do it properly. Besides the basics hand tools your also going to need a portable ball joint press, a way to remove the rivets from the upper ball joint (drill,cut off saw etc), a torque wrench that will go up to 175 ft lbs, and a very large socket for the axle retaining nut.

7. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

and buy moog or trw ball joints as thay are about the best in the bissness. DO NOT buy cheep junk ball joints.:realmad: or you will be doing it all over again in about 2-3 months.:angry:

8. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

On my Chevy 01 the ball joint has a inside and out. Read the instruction, don't find out the hard way like I did

9. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

He has a Chevy so he also needs torsion bar unloading tool!

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Not to change ball joints he doesn't.

Only reasons you ever need to unload the T-bars is to remove the lower control arm or the T-bar itself. ;)

11. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

x2 wesport

12. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

Well I'm not so concerned with it, I just checked them and they're tight. One less thing to worry about