1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ball Joints

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by DMR95, Dec 29, 2005.

1. DMR95

DMR95 Junior Member

I have a 95' chevy 1500 with 98k on it and I'm hearing a clunking sound when driving over speed bumps at a normal speed (5mph or slower). I grease the front end about every oil change and I take it pretty easy on it when driving over things (curbs or whatever else is in the way). I was told by a guy at a local alignment shop that a way to check if the ball joints were okay or not is to jack up the front end without any pressure on the control arms and pull on the top and bottom of the tire to see if there is any play in them. If I can't find any play in them and I'm hearing this clunking noise does that mean that I still need to get them replaced or not?

If the ball joints DO need to be replaced, how much am I looking at if I do it and about how long should this take me? Would I need to get my truck aligned after I replaced the ball joints? If anyone has a link or anything to help me with this I would appreciate it. I've looked on the fullsizechevy forum and read about this but i figured it wouldn't hurt for me to ask my specific questions about this.
  2. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

What condition are your anti-swaybar links in. I have seen them break but still look intact when the truck is parked on level ground...
  3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I always thought the way to check ball joints on a chevy were to jack up the front end with pressure on the lower control arm, thats the way I've always checked them. Check the swaybar links first. If you need ball joints your probably looking at around 5-6 hundered bucks with alignment.
  4. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

jack front end up till tires are just off the ground then use a bar through a slot in the wheel and try to lift up on the bar. if you try to move it by hand may not get much movement but with a bar you will. are you going to change them yourself? if you dont have the right tools or knowhow i would recommend taking the truck in you will be dealing with the front coil springs which have alot of force on them. if you can handle that they are not the hardest to do but they are some work. go to parts store and get a HAYNES manual it will take you through it step by step and yes it will need aligned afterwords