1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ball Joints

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Eng63Trk16, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Eng63Trk16

Eng63Trk16 Junior Member

The ball joints on my 04 F-250 went out at roughly 21,000 miles. I dont have a plow package on my truck, but my truck still handles it good. If i put a spring on the front of my truck would it help the ball joints last longer or would i just be wasting my time. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

Do you grease your truck after every storm?
  3. Eng63Trk16

Eng63Trk16 Junior Member

I dont grease them after every storm... but i grease them every 2 to 3000 miles when i change my oil.
  4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Worn out ball joints are a fact of life with a plow truck. All the front weight is riding on them. Just buy the best ones you can and keep them greased.
    The more miles / hours you put on plowing the quicker they wear out.
  5. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

Ditto to what mikrig said----The factory ones don't have grease fittings and some replacement one also--so you will want to check! Ford Dealer will put in ones that don't have fittings!!!!!!!!!! The S/D are brutal on ball joints and tie rod ends no matter if you plow or not! I have a brother-in law with an 02 f250 crew has 18,000 miles and the truck just had them done so your not alone! And this truck was strickly a passenger vehicle.
  6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I have found the way to get them off my older Ford.
    I take the retainer ring out of the bottom ball joint. I then use a big hammer on the stem of the top one. It drives the spindle off the lower one and the top one out of the axle housing. I use an air cut off to cut the upper ones stem off if I mushroomed it any. Be careful the cut off stem is VERY SHARP! Two or three hits with a hammer on the lower ones stem and it's off.I always replace both joints,it's not worth the $50 or so to re-vist the job in 6 months. I take it to the auto machine shop and they hot tank the spindle and install the new ball joints.The place I use has an old timer that has done thousands of them. While your there check your u-joints if you have an open shaft axle Dana 44/50.